Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Different UI for Multipage Editor
Different UI for Multipage Editor [message #692399] Mon, 04 July 2011 11:35 Go to next message
E. Waldin is currently offline E. WaldinFriend
I have a multipage editor with one page having a text editor (in fact an Xtext editor) and one page having a GMF editor. Everything works fine, for the most part. However, I want a UI that is different from a tabbed folder. In particular, I'd like to have two panes side-by-side, like in a SashForm.

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to subclass the MultiPageEditorPart and replace the UI part. The method createPartControl is final and can't be overriden, and it is where the TabFolder container is created (via private method createContainer). I thought maybe I could override addPage. But it adds the nested editor to the private field nestedEditors, which is central to the multpage editor's functioning, but not accessible. In short, it seems that the TabFolder UI is tightly bound into the multipage editor and there is nothing one can do about it.

This is a shame because all the helpful stuff like MultiPageEditorSite and MultiPageEditorActionBarContributor can't be used without a MultiPageEditorPart. It looks like I will have to roll my own editor and emulate all the extra stuff.

Is my analysis wrong? Is there some way I can get a SashForm editor using MultPageEditorPart?

Thanks for any help.
Re: Different UI for Multipage Editor [message #698014 is a reply to message #692399] Mon, 18 July 2011 15:42 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

I've seen org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiEditor used to provide 2 editors side by side, and in eclipse 3.5 org.eclipse.ui.part.AbstractMultiEditor was added as a superclass to allow different kinds of extension.

Documentation on them seems a little sparse, though. They also operate a little differently than MultiPageEditorPart, as MPEP is an editor that contains content but MultiEditor is trying to host 2 real editors for the IWorkbenchPage.

PW

Previous Topic:How to customize property of a project in Eclipse?
Next Topic:Intermittent ClassCastException in PolicyHandler
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:42:59 GMT 2024