Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » View like Git GUI
View like Git GUI [message #692371] Mon, 04 July 2011 10:11 Go to next message
Jacek Kolodziejczyk is currently offline Jacek KolodziejczykFriend
Is there a view/perspective in egit similar to Git GUI screen (see the attachment) where you can move items between the unstaged and staged lists, view the changes in the git diff format and commit the staged changes?

According to me this is the most comfortable way to progress with changes and I could not find it in egit.

• Attachment: Gi GUI.JPG
    (Size: 68.39KB, Downloaded 560 times)
Re: View like Git GUI [message #692374 is a reply to message #692371] Mon, 04 July 2011 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
The closest thing to that would be the Staging view: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/New_and_Noteworthy/1.0.0#Staging_View
Re: View like Git GUI [message #692416 is a reply to message #692374] Mon, 04 July 2011 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I see. It misses the file diff details on the same screen.

Review of changes is often required during staging. In my opinion displaying changes in the same screen would be more ergonomic, since it would require just 1 step to view next file changes instead of 3 steps: double click the item, open the diff screen, close the diff screen.
Re: View like Git GUI [message #692421 is a reply to message #692416] Mon, 04 July 2011 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dariusz Luksza is currently offline Dariusz LukszaFriend

You can use also synchronize view (team -> synchronize workspace) to inspect local changes. If you would like to split changes into staged and un-staged you can use 'Git Change Set' model.
Re: View like Git GUI [message #692443 is a reply to message #692421] Mon, 04 July 2011 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good. Still the missing features in the synchronize perspective for me are:
- cannot set 'Git Change Set' as the default model
- flat presentation in preferences does not work for this model
- missing patch format comparison, if the change is at then end then I have to scroll the whole file instead of seeing it instantly,
- I use black background for my code editors and the black file comparison guides are not visible for me
- should come with Git staging view or commit view open by default, I know I can add it once and then it will be reopened by the perspective next time, but still

I hope I'm not rambling and the other people would also find those suggestions useful Smile
Re: View like Git GUI [message #692482 is a reply to message #692443] Mon, 04 July 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also a 'Link with editor' button like we have for the package explorer would be great, but working opposite way to automatically load the changes for the current file in the navigation window.
Re: View like Git GUI [message #692945 is a reply to message #692482] Tue, 05 July 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Can you create enhancement requests in Bugzilla. Then we can track your requests, and others can vote.
Re: View like Git GUI [message #693536 is a reply to message #692443] Wed, 06 July 2011 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dariusz Luksza is currently offline Dariusz LukszaFriend

Jacek Kolodziejczyk wrote on Mon, 04 July 2011 08:53
Good. Still the missing features in the synchronize perspective for me are:
- cannot set 'Git Change Set' as the default model

Yes you can, just go Preferences -> Tam -> Git and select "Automatically enable change set grouping in Git synchronize"

- flat presentation in preferences does not work for this model

This is already on my TODO list, same as compressed folder presentation

- missing patch format comparison, if the change is at then end then I have to scroll the whole file instead of seeing it instantly,
- I use black background for my code editors and the black file comparison guides are not visible for me

This seams like a general error in compare editor. I've see same problem in CVS integration.

- should come with Git staging view or commit view open by default, I know I can add it once and then it will be reopened by the perspective next time, but still

I doubt that this would be useful, not every one like to have lots of views opened.
Re: View like Git GUI [message #702601 is a reply to message #693536] Tue, 26 July 2011 15:04 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
If you want to use Git Gui itself, it's quite easy, since egit defines some handy variables. Just create an external launcher to run the executable 'git' with arguments 'gui', and the working directory set to ${git_work_tree}. When you run the launcher you'll get a Git Gui window for the repository of the currently selected file or directory.
Probably you would want to configure the launcher to refresh the workspace when it's done so that egit can update the modification decorations.
For a little more generality, in case you decide to share the launcher, define your own variable, for instance 'git_exec', and use that as that, instead of 'git', as the executable, Each developer can then define this variable to point at their local installation, wherever it happens to be.

Of course all this assumes you have an ordinary Git installed and you're not relying entirely on jgit.
Previous Topic:Passphrase fails for Fedora 15
Next Topic:egit refuses to create branch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:50:55 GMT 2024