Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Javadoc not displaying in template proposal(Am unable to determine why Javadoc no longer displays)
Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #690754] Thu, 30 June 2011 07:11 Go to next message
Alan Schnell is currently offline Alan SchnellFriend
I am running the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (Helios Service Release 2 Build id: 20110218-0911). When I am in the editor and invoke Content Assist (using Ctrl space) the content list appears with the appropriate templates. When I select (left click once) a template the Javadoc description used to appear in another window. A couple of days ago the Javadoc description no longer appeared when a template is selected.

After searching the general internet and this forum, I have been unable to locate any information that would indicate why this would no longer work. I located some Eclipse documentation that states that the Javadoc is viewable in the content list but it does not identify any dependencies/links.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would suddenly stop working? Even more important, does anyone know how to get it working again?
Re: Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #690989 is a reply to message #690754] Thu, 30 June 2011 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
Is there anything in the error log ? (You can check in Error Log view)
Re: Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #691154 is a reply to message #690989] Thu, 30 June 2011 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. I have checked the error log (.log) in .metadata. There was a "workspace exited with unsaved changes" error in December of last year. The next error after that is on 2011-06-29 at 11:39:53. There are three entries for "Unknown javadoc format for Integer". The first one follows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.ui 4 10001 2011-06-29 11:39:53.750
!MESSAGE Internal Error
!STACK 1
Java Model Exception: Java Model Status [Unknown javadoc format for Integer {key=Ljava/lang/Integer;} [in Integer.class [in java.lang [in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar]]]] at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavadocContents.getTypeDoc(JavadocContents.java:78) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.BinaryType.getAttachedJavadoc(BinaryType.java:997) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.javadoc.JavadocContentAccess2.getHTMLContent(JavadocContentAccess2.java:470) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.getHoverInfo(JavadocHover.java:609) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.internalGetHoverInfo(JavadocHover.java:555) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.getHoverInfo2(JavadocHover.java:547) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.BestMatchHover.getHoverInfo2(BestMatchHover.java:141) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavaEditorTextHoverProxy.getHoverInfo2(JavaEditorTextHoverProxy.java:82) at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewerHoverManager$4.run(TextViewerHoverManager.java:166)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jdt.core 4 1009 2011-06-29 11:39:53.765
!MESSAGE Unknown javadoc format for Integer {key=Ljava/lang/Integer;} [in Integer.class [in java.lang [in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar]]]

One hour later is the first error for "Unknown javadoc format for System". First error follows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.ui 4 10001 2011-06-29 12:48:46.359
!MESSAGE Internal Error
!STACK 1
Java Model Exception: Java Model Status [Unknown javadoc format for System {key=Ljava/lang/System;} [in System.class [in java.lang [in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar]]]] at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavadocContents.getTypeDoc(JavadocContents.java:78) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.BinaryType.getAttachedJavadoc(BinaryType.java:997) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.javadoc.JavadocContentAccess2.getHTMLContent(JavadocContentAccess2.java:470) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.getHoverInfo(JavadocHover.java:609) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.internalGetHoverInfo(JavadocHover.java:555) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.getHoverInfo2(JavadocHover.java:547) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.BestMatchHover.getHoverInfo2(BestMatchHover.java:141) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavaEditorTextHoverProxy.getHoverInfo2(JavaEditorTextHoverProxy.java:82) at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewerHoverManager$4.run(TextViewerHoverManager.java:166)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jdt.core 4 1009 2011-06-29 12:48:46.359
!MESSAGE Unknown javadoc format for System {key=Ljava/lang/System;} [in System.class [in java.lang [in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar]]]

There are about 40 of these with the last being at 2011-06-29 23:35:36.875.

My rt.jar file is in the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar directory and its modification date is 2011/04/14. The last modification date for ANY file or directory in the jre directory is 2011/05/21. I use Eclipse frequently and, for last month, almost daily. I do not recall making any changes to Preferences or Properties just prior to losing the javadoc display.

Re: Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #691243 is a reply to message #691154] Fri, 01 July 2011 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
On 7/1/2011 1:53 AM, Alan Schnell wrote:
> Java Model Exception: Java Model Status [Unknown javadoc format for
> Integer {key=Ljava/lang/Integer;} [in Integer.class [in java.lang [in
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar]]]] at
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavadocContents.getTypeDoc(JavadocContents.java:78)
> at
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.BinaryType.getAttachedJavadoc(BinaryType.java:997)

Are you using a JRE or a JDK ? (I would guess JRE)
Did you manually download the javadoc and attach it to the JRE ?

If you are using a JDK can you please check the modified date of
Java\src.zip ?
Re: Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #691578 is a reply to message #691243] Fri, 01 July 2011 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am running the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers 1.3.2.20110218-0812 Helios Service Release 2 Build id: 20110218-0911. I do not have a Java/src.zip file. I am running jre6 with a modification date (on the jre6 folder) of 5/21/2011. I did not manually download Javadoc and attach it to the JRE. The only directory/file in the Java directory is the jre6 directory.

I use Eclipse for code development and have not installed a JDK. So your assumption that I am running the JRE with Eclipse is correct.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 July 2011 19:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #691600 is a reply to message #691578] Fri, 01 July 2011 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
If you don't have either the source or the javadoc installed on your PC then the content assist box has to pull it down from the internet. This could be why you no longer see it. There may be a problem accessing it from the Oracle site.

If you are developing Java code, it is recommended to install a JDK with source. That way the javadoc display will be able to use the local source and you will also be able to browse the source code of the JDK classes.
Re: Javadoc not displaying in template proposal [message #691659 is a reply to message #691600] Sat, 02 July 2011 00:38 Go to previous message
Downloaded and installed the JDK. Now the documentation is displayed when in Template Proposal (content assist) as it was previously. I did not realize that Eclipse was accessing the documentation at run-time from the Oracle server...

Problem solved! Thank you!!!
Previous Topic:Configure Hibernate as JPA Provider
Next Topic:Separate Tomcat for each project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:10:06 GMT 2024