Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » How to provide bundle updates on an update site
How to provide bundle updates on an update site [message #690251] Wed, 29 June 2011 09:24 Go to next message
Christian Pontesegger is currently offline Christian PonteseggerFriend
Hi,

I've got a eature based RCP application. I also created an update site where I published some additional features.

Now I needed to fix a bug in a specific plugin. Raised the plugin version number and rebuilt the update site. Now I see bundle_1.0.0 and bundle_1.0.1 both available on the update site.

How will my RCP learn about this update?

I have my update site registered, but when I hit "Check for updates" no updates are found. Will "check for updates" check for new plugin versions or for new feature versions only?

thanks
Christian
Re: How to provide bundle updates on an update site [message #690787 is a reply to message #690251] Thu, 30 June 2011 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
If it's feature-based, you need to create a new version of your feature too.
Re: How to provide bundle updates on an update site [message #691283 is a reply to message #690787] Fri, 01 July 2011 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply.

I gues there is no automatic way (in PDE) to update the according features too? Finding affected features can be a tedious and error prone task.

* update plugin bundle version
* update affected feature version(s)
* now update site will not list my feature anymore Sad
* add feature with new version number to update site
* rebuild site

Either I am doing something wrong or I begin to understand why people use external build tools for this task...
Re: How to provide bundle updates on an update site [message #691301 is a reply to message #691283] Fri, 01 July 2011 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I followed your advice and added the new feature version.

Still "check for updates" won't find the updated feature.
"install new Software" at least detects the update (after unchecking the grouping option) but cannot update as v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 cannot be installed at the same time.

P2 is driving me nuts and I can't find good documentation how to use it.
Aren't there any tutorial out there how to do this correctly?
Re: How to provide bundle updates on an update site [message #693920 is a reply to message #690251] Thu, 07 July 2011 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Sorry Christian, but I don't often check this newsgroup.

I know learning how to deal with p2 can seem overwhelming. There are a set of base rules that you have to absorb and then it begins to make sense.

You haven't given us enough information to diagnose the problem, but I'm guessing you have a product-based application? In that case, you need to update *both* the feature(s) specifying your updated bundle(s) *and* the product to point at your updated feature(s).

Basically only bundles can specify version ranges. A .product specifies point versions of features, and a feature specifies point versions of bundles. Think of them as installation manifests: when you install product.id 1.0.0.0, you get exactly feature1 1.0.0.0 and thus exactly bundle1 1.0.0.0 and bundle2 1.0.0.0. Even if bundle2 1.0.0.26 is available, installing product.id 1.0.0.0 will only install bundle2 1.0.0.0. To do otherwise means that you can never be certain that two installations are the same.

A product *can* specify a range for a feature, but it requires being specified through an accompanying p2.inf file, as described by Andrew Niefer:

http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2009/07/composing-and-updating-custom-eclipse.html

I suggest you (re)read the rest of his p2-related blog entries: there's a wealth of information there.

Good luck!

-
Re: How to provide bundle updates on an update site [message #694215 is a reply to message #693920] Fri, 08 July 2011 06:20 Go to previous message
Thanks for your clarifications. Now I understand why check for updates is not working as expected for me.

Still I wish there would be more documentation available.

thanks
Christian
Previous Topic:is -bundlepool used?
Next Topic:Howto declare IU conflicts?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:44:45 GMT 2024