Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository(Newbie setting up Egit: Team Window "Synchronize Git")
icon5.gif  Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690229] Wed, 29 June 2011 08:18 Go to next message
michelle  is currently offline michelle Friend
I have a repository setup remotely on a computer called SDSERVER. I have an eclipse project called GearCalc checked in to the master branch of this repository. I have imported a "Git Project" and am now synchronising for the first time.

I get asked to select a 'Desitination' as shown in the screenshot. Is my understanding which I have described in the attached screenshot correct? In other words, am I choosing the correct destination with the right thoughts in mind?

Thank-you in advance, Michelle

index.php/fa/3172/0/

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2011 08:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690252 is a reply to message #690229] Wed, 29 June 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
No. You are synchronizing with the remote tracking branch origin/master. This branch represents the contents of the branch master in the remote repository, but is also locally in your repository. You can update your remote tracking branch with the Fetch command. If you did that, then you synchronize against the contents of the remote repository (but still as a local operation).
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690254 is a reply to message #690229] Wed, 29 June 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dariusz Luksza is currently offline Dariusz LukszaFriend

Yes yours understanding is correct.

You also need to remember that all changes that are in destination (in this case origin/master) will be marked as incoming and all changes that are in local master will be marked as outgoing.
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690267 is a reply to message #690254] Wed, 29 June 2011 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Ok, then my understanding is wrong (since Dariusz wrote the whole Synchronizing thing, he is an expert in that, i don't use Synchronizing that much).
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690305 is a reply to message #690252] Wed, 29 June 2011 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It could sounds a little bit strange, but Manuel you are also right Wink

To clarify things. Before 1.0 synchronize view doesn't fetch changes from remote, because of that to get incoming changes you need to fetch them on your one. In 1.0 EGit will automatically fetch changes if given branch is remote or local branch has configured to track remote one.
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690344 is a reply to message #690305] Wed, 29 June 2011 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Fortunately there's a preference to disable the auto-fetch, so you can still do an offline compares if you want to. To me the main point of these kinds of branches is that they're accessible offline (compare Mercurial, which must always be online for a comparison of this kind).

See Preferences -> Team -> Git.

Ideally it would be a second checkbox in the Synchronization dialog, initialized by the preference but modifiable on the fly for each Synchronization.
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690367 is a reply to message #690344] Wed, 29 June 2011 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

R Shapiro wrote on Wed, 29 June 2011 08:01
Ideally it would be a second checkbox in the Synchronization dialog, initialized by the preference but modifiable on the fly for each Synchronization.

Good idea! I'll try to implement it in nearest feature Wink
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690521 is a reply to message #690367] Wed, 29 June 2011 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A possibly related question re: Team -> Synchronize

One of my workspaces includes an Git SVN bridge, resulting in references like remotes/trunk. I would like to synchronize my active branch against this, of course with auto-fetch disabled (obviously 'fetch' won't work here).

The Synchronize dialog presents me with 'refs/remotes/trunk' as a choice but does not allow me to proceed if I select it. Why is that? Shouldn't Synchronize be able to work with this? I understand that jgit doesn't currently support the git svn operations and so egit can't either. But no svn operations are involved here: 'refs/remotes/trunk' is an ordinary git reference like any other, a text file with a SHA string in it.

Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690619 is a reply to message #690521] Wed, 29 June 2011 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This sounds like a strange bug in synchronize wizard, could you open a bug for it?
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #690900 is a reply to message #690619] Thu, 30 June 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bug reported, as requested. See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=350804
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #819982 is a reply to message #690900] Tue, 13 March 2012 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harry Houdini is currently offline Harry HoudiniFriend
Could you please confirm that Team > Synchronize implements the command git diff HEAD ?

Thanks.
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #820010 is a reply to message #819982] Tue, 13 March 2012 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The default configuration will also fetch data from origin/remote-tracking-branch so it is more like:
git fetch && git diff FETCH_HEAD

If you disable 'automatic fetch option' it should behave as you said: git diff HEAD
Re: Setting up Synchronisation with Remote Repository [message #820019 is a reply to message #820010] Tue, 13 March 2012 16:20 Go to previous message
Harry Houdini is currently offline Harry HoudiniFriend
OK, thank you.
Previous Topic:Egit
Next Topic:Show In History shows "No Input"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 19:24:13 GMT 2024