Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » PermGen space in Indigo(constantly getting the PermGen space exception at runtime)
icon11.gif  PermGen space in Indigo [message #689831] Tue, 28 June 2011 13:06 Go to next message
Darie Moldovan is currently offline Darie MoldovanFriend
Hello everyone,

I installed a fresh copy of Indigo Build id 20110615-0604, and then installed the plugins for Xtext2, EMF, OCL, XBase and MWE through the update manager. Everything worked fine.

I have an Xtext 2 Project, which I implemented on an Windows XP machine running Eclipse Indigo RC and Xtext 2.

I installed the fresh copy of Indigo on a new machine, running Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1. My current JRE version is:

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

When I start Eclipse, everything works fine, I can open the projects in my workspace and continue implementing. But when running a project as a new Eclipse instance (typically for Xtext Projects as they generate Eclipse editors), I get the exception

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2011-06-28 14:57:41.478
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
Error while logging event loop exception:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

The new Eclipse instance starts successfully, but when I open a file within my project, Eclipse freezez/crashes and shows the above error in the console.

I double-checked and I am running the 64-bit Windows Version of Eclipse Indigo with a 64-bit Version of the Sun JRE.

Aditionally, I increased the PermGen size in the eclipse.ini file and in the Run Configuration. No use, I still get the PermGen space exception. Here's my eclipse.ini file:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.100.v20110502
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
1024M
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
1024m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m

and the settings in the Run Configuration are as follows:

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5 -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the JRE and restarted my computer.

What could be the problem? Oh, and I also read multiple topics about this exception, including this one. Nothing helped. If you need more details, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2011 13:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PermGen space in Indigo [message #689853 is a reply to message #689831] Tue, 28 June 2011 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
It isn't clear from your post whether the exception is getting thrown in your Eclipse development instance or the instance you launch to test out your editor. I'm assuming it is the test instance that you are launching. If this is the case, changing the perm gen size in the development version of Eclipse will have not effect on the problem. The test instance is launched as a separate VM and has its own perm gen size.

The arguments you have added to the launch config pertain the heap size of the launched VM not the perm gen size. These are two different things. Try using -XX:MaxPermSize=512m instead of the -Xm arguments.

Note that the max perm size argument isn't a standard vm argument and it can change depending on the version of the VM you are running. Make sure that the argument is appropriate for your VM version.
Re: PermGen space in Indigo [message #689864 is a reply to message #689853] Tue, 28 June 2011 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it was the test instance I was having problems with. I replaced the line

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5 -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

with

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

in the Run Configuration and it workes, indeed! Thank you very much for the tip!

Regards,

Darie
Re: PermGen space in Indigo [message #715371 is a reply to message #689864] Sat, 13 August 2011 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sascha Becher is currently offline Sascha BecherFriend
Thank you very much!

This solved the very same problem I had with my 2nd instance of Eclipse 3.7 running as 'Run as application' from a 1st instance of Eclipse 3.7.
I experienced this error evertime when the already running 2nd instance of Eclipse used a function from the JDT for the first time, i.e. opening
a Java file or expanding the method level of a java source file from the Project Explorer.
The above mentioned settings solved that issue instantly.
Re: PermGen space in Indigo [message #898736 is a reply to message #689831] Fri, 27 July 2012 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joonas Vali is currently offline Joonas ValiFriend
Thank you! The last solution worked for me too, with Juno. Had had trouble for a day with this and no configuration solution seemed to help.
Re: PermGen space in Indigo [message #898737 is a reply to message #898736] Fri, 27 July 2012 11:59 Go to previous message
I'm glad I could help. I also tested this config on Eclipse June and it worked fine.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Juno: Padding between panes
Next Topic:Content assist goes wrong after installed Hibernate-tools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:14:46 GMT 2024