Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mylyn » Mylyn very slow
Mylyn very slow [message #689729] Tue, 28 June 2011 08:52 Go to next message
Paul  is currently offline Paul Friend
At the Jazoon conference in Zurich last week I heard about Mylyn and thought I would try it out. We have a very large project with 1000's of classes and XML files, and the prospect of trimming this to a subset that is of interest to the task at hand is very appealing.

Unfortunately when I enable a task my GUI becomes so slow to the point of being unusable, with the GUI being blocked for many seconds at a time several times a minute. This is very far from being a productivity enhancer Smile

I have a reasonably good machine, running Eclipse Indigo, Mylyn 3.6.0, and local tasks (I cannot connect to our Jira instance, but that is another topic).

If I snapshot the threads when the GUI is locked then the main thread usually looks something like in the attachment. The code seems to be stuck in the problem tree viewer, which is understandable as we have over 15,000 warnings in our project. That is also a problem but not one that I can do much about. I don't have the 'focus on active task' button activated in the problems view.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can work around this? The only option at the moment is to forget about Mylyn, which would be a shame.

Thanks,

Paul
  • Attachment: thread.txt
    (Size: 7.31KB, Downloaded 380 times)
Re: Mylyn very slow [message #1403595 is a reply to message #689729] Thu, 24 July 2014 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eduardo Simioni is currently offline Eduardo SimioniFriend
I know such old threads are not supposed to be resuscitated, but today, more than 3 years later I have the exact same situation, since this post didn't get any replies, maybe it is still the best place to ask.

I have just decided do try mylyn for the first time today, after being an Eclipse user for more than 10 years.

I started very simple, only one local task, no connection with other plugins (as far as I'm aware of) since I always deselected any optional mylyn connection while installing them.

Whenever I open or save a file now, Eclipse seriously stresses the disk IO and takes several seconds to complete the open/save.

Am I doing something wrong without knowing or is it just painfully slow by itself?
What is it reading/writing when I open/save files (other than the files themselves)?

Thanks!

Eduardo.
Re: Mylyn very slow [message #1446250 is a reply to message #1403595] Thu, 16 October 2014 15:07 Go to previous message
Sam Davis is currently offline Sam DavisFriend
Hi,

It shouldn't be doing any extra IO. Could you post a thread dump?

If the problem is what you originally reported, it's a known issue that decorating the package explorer with warnings is slow when there are many warnings. The only solutions I can think of are either to fix some of the warnings, disable some of the warnings in your compiler settings, or use working set filters to reduce the number of things in your package explorer.

Cheers,
Sam
Previous Topic:Creole syntax contribution for WikiText
Next Topic:Mylyn 3.6 is now available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:55:52 GMT 2024