Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP(The RCP developers have removed the Cheat Sheet Editor, how do I add it back in?)
Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #689553] Mon, 27 June 2011 20:22 Go to next message
Rich Payton is currently offline Rich PaytonFriend
I want to use the Cheat Sheet Editor to write some Cheat Sheets for our software. The developers have removed all of the native Eclipse capabilities (like Java development) because we use the platform for something other than code writing.

However, I want to use the Cheat Sheet editor and I don't know how to add it back in. Is there a plugin that I have to copy back into the directory structure? The exact feature I want to use is normally found at "File > New > Other... > User Assistance > Cheat Sheet". I have searched and searched but I can't find the plugin that will re-enable this capability.

How do I get the Cheat Sheet editor back?
Re: Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #689580 is a reply to message #689553] Mon, 27 June 2011 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
The cheat sheet editor lives in the PDE ( Plugin Development Environment ). You can install the PDE from eclipse.org as follows ( these instructions are for Eclipse 3.7 )

Help/Install new software
In the "Work with" combo select The Eclipse Project Updates - http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.7
Select Eclipse SDK and install it

This will install the "missing pieces" of the Eclipse SDK and you will be able to edit cheat sheets
Re: Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #689867 is a reply to message #689580] Tue, 28 June 2011 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried the method you said and I ran into a problem. Eclipse has really been stripped down and when I click Help > Install new software, I get an error saying that Eclipse has not been configured for software updates.

Does the PDE capability reside somewhere in the directory structure of the full install? Can I just copy some of the folders from the full install into my company's version of Eclipse?

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2011 17:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #689988 is a reply to message #689867] Tue, 28 June 2011 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tried installing the PDE STK (Can't post the full link so here's the end: eclipse-PDE-SDK-3.5.1.zip) into the RCP to get back the Cheat Sheet Editor. But it hasn't worked. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

The main reason I want to use the Cheat Sheet Editor is for the Command Composer utility. I have to ask the question though. Will that commands that have been added in my company's RCP appear in the Command Composer? If not, then it's not that big of a deal to write the Cheat Sheets in a full version of Eclipse and then register them in the RCP version.
Re: Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #690002 is a reply to message #689988] Tue, 28 June 2011 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After reading your instructions more carefully. I downloaded the entire Eclipse 3.5.1 SDK (162 MB) and mashed it with our special software. Now I can use the Cheat Sheet Editor AND the Command Composer has found all of the additional commands that we have added.

Success!
Re: Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #693997 is a reply to message #690002] Thu, 07 July 2011 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After mashing the two versions together I noticed that the link to Register the cheat sheet that normally appears at the top of the Cheat Sheet Editor (upper right hand side) is not there. I've figured out how to register the Cheat Sheets manually so it's not a problem.

Any ideas why the link isn't there? The link calls the Cheat Sheet Registration Wizard. Did I not include this when I mashed?
Re: Enabling Cheat Sheet Editor in an RCP [message #698168 is a reply to message #693997] Mon, 18 July 2011 23:20 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
I don't know why the link would not be there, I would expect it to be.
Previous Topic:Indigo unable to connect to marketplace
Next Topic:Can't cut (Ctrl+x) or undo (Ctrl+z) within Cheat Sheet Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:10:27 GMT 2024