Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo
p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #688529] Fri, 24 June 2011 21:27 Go to next message
Ronald So is currently offline Ronald SoFriend
Is there any site out there that describes how we can add p2 support for RCP applications that are developed in Eclipse Indigo (3.7)? I heard the Eclipse dev team makes the integration of P2 much easier than in 3.5 and 3.6. Is it true?

Thanks for your information in advanced.
Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #689549 is a reply to message #688529] Mon, 27 June 2011 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did some diggings and see this bug.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=281226

From there, Susan McCourt made the following comment.

Susan F. McCourt (on leave until 9/15/2011) 2011-06-02 11:35:22 EDT
(In reply to comment #37)
> It's been a while since there was any news on this one... was wondering if
> there's a chance this'll make it for Indigo? I got the impression there'd been
> a lot of work put in already and it was near the final hurdle?

Most of this got finished late in 3.6, (see Ralf Ebert's blog post
http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/p2_updates_tutorial_36/).  The branded
update wizard was internal in 3.6, we added API in 3.7 so that it's officially
supported.

If you follow the dependent bug links you'll see information on these various
improvements.

What we did not do (and the reason this bug is not closed) is tie everything up
in a nice example package and update the wiki accordingly.  We considered doing
an RCP mail template wizard to demonstrate it, and just did not have the time.

There was also various discussion about how to simplify the amount of core code
needed to do an update, and doing updates automatically without user
intervention.  This is the work Dave is referring to.

I guess the answer to my original question is "not yet". Thought I would cross post her comment here for folks who are struggled on P2 like me.
Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #690459 is a reply to message #689549] Wed, 29 June 2011 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finally got my demo to work for both updating current software and install new feature. I was following the article below with some minor changes due to the change in Eclipse 3.7 Indigo.

http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/p2_updates_tutorial_36/

Basically you do not need to download org.eclipselabs.p2.rcpdate. You need "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui" that comes with the RCP/RAP Developer kit. Instead of putting the two command under extension point "org.eclipse.ui.menus", you simply add

helpMenu.add(new GroupMarker(IWorkbenchActionConstants.MB_ADDITIONS));

You do need to have the help menu set up as a prerequisites. Look up MB_ADDITIONS if you need more information.
Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #741882 is a reply to message #690459] Thu, 20 October 2011 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas  is currently offline Nicolas Friend
Hi, Ronald, I trying to update a previous version of an application develped with Eclipse PDE 3.2 ... or less.

So I spend a time converting some stuff.

Resuming, I want to add P2 Updates scenario to this new app.
I also follow "ralfebert" tutorial
But ... my App is based on plig-ins and I cannot change that.
The main problem that I have is that the menu options didn't show !
I put the commands as extension point ...

where can I look for a tutorial for Indigo ?
I want an automatic update, no user intervetion, but only plugins and features from my own application. not rcp.

Could you zip and email the tutorial in 3.7 ?

Regards
Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #742393 is a reply to message #741882] Thu, 20 October 2011 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Ronald,
I Follow steps in
www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/p2_updates_tutorial_36/
and omit steps that you indicate.
But I cannot see any "Update/Install" submenu under HELP menu.

What can I be missing ?
Best Regards

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2011 12:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #750113 is a reply to message #742393] Tue, 25 October 2011 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think there is a site that describes the steps for Indigo. My statement is true only when I was dealing with this problem about 2-3 months ago. However, I believe I have sorted out what is needed to get P2 work.

The idea was basically the same as the ralfebert site that you were following. The difference is that you do not have to use anything from the "org.eclipselabs.p2.rcpdate" package but use "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui" that comes with Indigo. Then instead of putting the two commands under extension point "org.eclipse.ui.menus", you simply add this to the ApplicationActionBarAdvisor.

// MB_ADDITIONS for contributions from P2
helpMenu.add(new GroupMarker(IWorkbenchActionConstants.MB_ADDITIONS));

Note that you will NOT see the "update" menu items if you are running your plugin alone. You will see the "update" menu items only when you create a product (by creating a feature that uses your plugin). I guess that is the confusing part.

Good luck.
Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #755592 is a reply to message #750113] Tue, 08 November 2011 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps I am not being clear about it. You need to go to the "Include Features" tab in your product feature and add "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui" there. With that you should be able to see the P2 items in the menu bar.
Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #757333 is a reply to message #755592] Thu, 17 November 2011 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ronald,
I have a "dead-lock" situation, I can't base my plugin to features because I have another project as plugin dependency.
So I have no "Included Feeatures" tab in my base project, I have it in the Feature project I created to put the site URL where the updateds should be.

So i'm realy confused, because I don'nt know where to put what.
even more, I don't know what shoul I have to export ! If you have a base project (plugin based) and a feature Project, related each one with another.

Best Regards

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2011 18:43]

Re: p2 updates for Eclipse Indigo [message #760146 is a reply to message #755592] Thu, 01 December 2011 13:36 Go to previous message
Thanks Ronald.

One more question.

My Product is plugin-based, so I still can create a feature that use the product?
Or not? I still don't see Update/Install menu !

I only want to be able to use p2 Updater from my RCP Application , so the client could update it manually or automatically.

Do I have to "convert" my product to "feature" based ? I mean "convert" because in other experiences I need to adjust dependencies, moving some of them from the product to the feature.

Best Regards

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 13:42]

Previous Topic:Packaging jar to plugin feature
Next Topic:Using P2 on RCP featured Plugin can't see Install/Update Menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:30:17 GMT 2024