Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » New to BIRT - Installation/Integration Advice(Looking for hints on installing and using BIRT against Solaris/Oracle)
New to BIRT - Installation/Integration Advice [message #688421] Fri, 24 June 2011 16:44 Go to next message
Eric  is currently offline Eric Friend
Greetings all,

I am 100% new to Eclipse and BIRT, but excited about the features and possibilities. However, I'm wrestling with getting the software installed and integrated with our system to a point where it is usable by development. Any help the community could provide would most appreciated!

Here's the basics of what we want to accomplish:
Pull data from an Oracle database into a customized report. Allow our user community to modify the data to their liking, then export to Excel if they choose.

System:
Solaris 10 Unix server
Oracle 10g Database
Apache Tomcat web server (OAS also available)
Microsoft Excel

So far, I've been able to use the BIRT install instructions to get the BIRT Report Viewer displayed through tomcat. The example report that states "If you can see this report, it means that the BIRT viewer is installed correctly" comes up just fine.

We've also been able to install and execute the Eclipse (Indigo) SDK. Under the "Open perspective" options in Eclipse, I see no options for accessing or developing with BIRT (nor do I really know if I SHOULD see an option).

What's the next step in our process, the one that allows me to pull data from Oracle, into a report, and start customizing?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to provide!
Re: New to BIRT - Installation/Integration Advice [message #688462 is a reply to message #688421] Fri, 24 June 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Which Eclipse package did you download? Did you install the allinone for BIRT?
http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/
When you do a new project Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools should show up as a category in the project wizard.

Jason
Re: New to BIRT - Installation/Integration Advice [message #688479 is a reply to message #688462] Fri, 24 June 2011 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the reply, Jason.

That may be my issue, I do not see "Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools" as an option. Our installation was not the All-in-one...I was unable to find the all-in-one installation package for Solaris. If you (or anyone else) has a link to that software, that would likely be exactly what I need to get on my way!

EDIT: Is the Linux version of the All-In-One package able to run on Solaris?

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2011 19:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to BIRT - Installation/Integration Advice [message #688490 is a reply to message #688479] Fri, 24 June 2011 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

I do not know if Linux package will run on Solaris but if you already have eclipse running on solaris you could download the birt framework and unzip it into the Eclipse directory. Note that you will also need DTP, EMF and GEF. Another option to try is to just use the update manager.
http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/updmaninst2.2.php
the full update manager urls are shown here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/BIRT_Update_Site_URL

Jason
Re: New to BIRT - Installation/Integration Advice [message #689471 is a reply to message #688490] Mon, 27 June 2011 17:34 Go to previous message
Installing the packages Jason mentions below worked to get BIRT installed as a development option inside of Eclipse, thank you!
Previous Topic:Ecore - oda driver : Is there an offical release ?
Next Topic:Web server hostname
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:56:50 GMT 2024