Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » Autotools and Windows and Cygwin Post 0.8(Some broken features)
Autotools and Windows and Cygwin Post 0.8 [message #688228] Fri, 24 June 2011 08:14 Go to next message
gary mazz is currently offline gary mazzFriend
Hi,

Great job on the auto tools project...

I have a few issues that came up in the new release. This happened the first time, subsequent runs worked...

1) Creating a Autotools project, config.sub and config.guess are not linked to the source tree and causes an error running configure.status

2) The auto generated Makefile.am are not recognized by Cygwin autotools. Cygwin is expecting to see Makefile.in

3) install.sh should be auto-generated

4) Makefile.am does not provide a skeleton for a make file. The hello world example does not build.

Converting to autotools project:
1) No support files are created config.am, Makefile.am, install-sh,etc..

Automake Project Run/Debug Configuration:

1) Search for binary file does not show built exe in project.

2) Run/Debug configuration is not set

This is as far as i got.
v/r
gm

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2011 09:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Autotools and Windows and Cygwin Post 0.8 [message #697243 is a reply to message #688228] Fri, 15 July 2011 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
Quote:
Hi,

Great job on the auto tools project...

Thanks. Just to let you know that we don't officially support/test Cygwin but we have been making patches to make this work on Windows so we are happy to have your input. Recently Doug Schaeffer of the CDT group has been working to get the Autotools plugin working under Windows and he has opened a number of bugs that have been fixed. IIRC, he did get it working with the bug fixes but I believe he is using minGW.

Quote:

I have a few issues that came up in the new release. This happened the first time, subsequent runs worked...

1) Creating a Autotools project, config.sub and config.guess are not linked to the source tree and causes an error running configure.status

Can you elaborate what you mean here? What files did you start with in your project, how were they laid out in the project, and can you supply the build console output (including the configure console)?

Quote:

2) The auto generated Makefile.am are not recognized by Cygwin autotools. Cygwin is expecting to see Makefile.in

Not sure what you mean here. Makefile.am files are used to make Makefile.in via the automake tool. You can either run automake via the Project->Invoke Autotools->automake after selecting the Makefile.am file or have it done via Autoreconf.

You can run autoreconf -i via the Project->Invoke Autotools or if your project has no configure script and no configure.status file, this will be done on your behalf as part of configuration. This is how the Hello World program works. It provides just bare bones and each tool is run for the various input files (e.g. configure.ac is used to create configure, Makefile.am is used to create Makefile.in).
Missing files are added via autoreconf -i when it builds the Makefile.in file from your Makefile.am file. This done via the --add-missing argument which you can pass to automake if you invoke it directly.

Quote:

3) install.sh should be auto-generated

This occurs with automake --add-missing or via autoreconf -i

Quote:

4) Makefile.am does not provide a skeleton for a make file. The hello world example does not build.

The Makefile.am file is used to create Makefile.in which is then used as a template to create the Makefile during configuration. An Autotools project runs a special configure builder before running make. The configure builder will try and run configure.status if it is found, otherwise, it will try and run configure if found, otherwise, it will run autogen.sh if found, then configure, or else it will run autoreconf -i and then run configure.

Quote:

Converting to autotools project:
1) No support files are created config.am, Makefile.am, install-sh,etc..

Converting to an autotools project does not "autotoolize" your project. It just sets the project settings so that the Autotools plug-in tools will function for your project. The configure builder expects to either find configure or autogen.sh or you have a set of input files such that autoreconf -i can be run.

Quote:

Automake Project Run/Debug Configuration:

1) Search for binary file does not show built exe in project.

There should be a Binaries folder show up in your project if the build runs and creates an executable. There may be settings required in the case of Cygwin.

Quote:

2) Run/Debug configuration is not set

For Autotools, there are no Run/Debug configurations. It is not the same as a Managed project whereby the argument to gcc are settings. To do this requires overriding flags such as CFLAGS. We are looking into adding additional configurations, but for the time-being you'll have to do it yourself by going to Project->Properties->Autotools->Configure Settings and adding a flag setting in the configure command (e.g. CFLAGS="-g -O0" configure)

Quote:

This is as far as i got.

Hopefully with some more help we can get you farther.
Re: Autotools and Windows and Cygwin Post 0.8 [message #1005881 is a reply to message #697243] Tue, 29 January 2013 08:20 Go to previous message
Martins Pukitis is currently offline Martins PukitisFriend
Quote:

For Autotools, there are no Run/Debug configurations. It is not the same as a Managed project whereby the argument to gcc are settings. To do this requires overriding flags such as CFLAGS. We are looking into adding additional configurations, but for the time-being you'll have to do it yourself by going to Project->Properties->Autotools->Configure Settings and adding a flag setting in the configure command (e.g. CFLAGS="-g -O0" configure)

Are there any updates regarding this?
What is the correct place to put questions regarding autotools? This forum or CDT forum?
Previous Topic:Mangled C++ names are printed in the coverage summary report
Next Topic:using libhover for 3rd party documentation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:21:06 GMT 2024