Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Projects only on a branch are lost when switching between branches
Projects only on a branch are lost when switching between branches [message #687883] Thu, 23 June 2011 12:56 Go to next message
BJ Hargrave is currently offline BJ HargraveFriend
I have 2 branches in my git repo: X and Y. A project P only exists on branch X. I check out branch X and import project P into the IDE. I then ask EGit to switch to branch Y. Project P, that is not in branch Y, is removed and not visible in the IDE. I then ask EGit to switch back to branch X. Project P is still missing from the IDE Sad I need to reimport the project.

This is very annoying since I need to reimport projects whenever I switch branches. Is this expected behavior or a bug?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2011 12:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Projects only on a branch are lost when switching between branches [message #689833 is a reply to message #687883] Tue, 28 June 2011 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
There is an open bug for this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=337581. I just added some thoughts there (which I also pasted below). Please continue the discussion there.

I wonder how egit should know which projects it should import after branch switch. Should it scan the whole repo for .project files and automatically import all found projects? I think that's not feasible, it could have a severe performance impact and may lead to results which a user does not want.

A possible solution could be that egit remembers all the projects which were imported the last time the newly checked out branch was checked out before and tries to find and import the projects again.
Re: Projects only on a branch are lost when switching between branches [message #1064323 is a reply to message #689833] Tue, 18 June 2013 17:25 Go to previous message
Ciro Vladimir is currently offline Ciro VladimirFriend
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I wanted to follow up the bug status but it says "'337581.' is not a valid bug number.".

Do you know the current status of the bug or where it was moved?

thanks!
Previous Topic:Does EGit now usable?
Next Topic:EGit (JGit) incorrectly detects modifications if autocrlf is changed after repo creation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:11:38 GMT 2024