Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » remote debugging - console output
remote debugging - console output [message #687853] Thu, 23 June 2011 12:00 Go to next message
Jan Pohanka is currently offline Jan PohankaFriend
Hello,
I'm trying to develop application on remote arm linux machine. It works almost perfect. When I run gdbserver *:port myapp on remote target serial console, I can connect then with gdb from eclipse. Standard output is in the console window where I executed the gdbserver.
To make it more comfortable I have created external program, which runs a script that make scp transfer of binary to the target and execute the gdbserver via ssh. Until this point everything is good - I see the command responses in eclipse console, but after switching to debug in eclipse, its console is rewritten with gdb output.

Is there please any way to get also the debugged application output (from printf etc.) to the eclipse console?

with best regards
Jan
Re: remote debugging - console output [message #687889 is a reply to message #687853] Thu, 23 June 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
I think what you want is the CDT's remote launch. It is part of the Indigo release that is available since yesterday.
It will start gdbserver for you and transfer the binary (just like your script). http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn80#C.2FC.2B.2B_Remote_Application_launch
You will first need to install "Remote System Explorer End-User runtime" out of the Indigo update site.
After that, use the "Remote Systems" view to create a connection with your remote machine.
You can then use the "C/C++ Remote launch" and you should see the output in the "Remote Shell" console.

Marc
Re: remote debugging - console output [message #688231 is a reply to message #687889] Fri, 24 June 2011 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Pohanka is currently offline Jan PohankaFriend
Thank you for answer. It looks interesting, but is there also a possibility to use scp in Remote system explorer? It offers me only sftp subsystem and I don't have (and don't want to) sftp server installed on my remote system.

regards
Jan
Re: remote debugging - console output [message #689343 is a reply to message #688231] Mon, 27 June 2011 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
I am not familiar with the details of RSE myself. You may want to direct the question at their forum, if no one else answers here.

Marc
Re: remote debugging - console output [message #693755 is a reply to message #688231] Thu, 07 July 2011 07:11 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Honza wrote on Fri, 24 June 2011 10:21
Thank you for answer. It looks interesting, but is there also a possibility to use scp in Remote system explorer? It offers me only sftp subsystem and I don't have (and don't want to) sftp server installed on my remote system.

regards
Jan

scp support was added in the latest release (Indigo).
http://www.eclipse.org/tm/development/relnotes/3.3/tm-news-3.3.html

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Previous Topic:Trying to find GDB Hardware Debugger plugin for Helios
Next Topic:Version confusion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:54:56 GMT 2024