Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support?
Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #685030] Thu, 16 June 2011 17:24 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
I am using a MySql Database with Eclipse Scout. I notice that my dependencies are missing with RC4:

• org.eclipse.scout.rt.server.jdbc.mysql517.fragment
  • org.eclipse.scout.rt.server.jdbc.mysql517.fragment.source

I looked in the SVN history and I found the Revision 804: "db fragments removed from eclipse scout"

What do your recommend?

Thanks for your answer.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #685895 is a reply to message #685030] Mon, 20 June 2011 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian MoserFriend
I have the same issue.
Probably we have to provide our own fragment, since this is anyway database version dependent and therefore must not be part of Scout?

Any guideline creating the database fragment is appreciated.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #686655 is a reply to message #685895] Wed, 22 June 2011 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judith Gull is currently offline Judith GullFriend
Hi

We had to remove the db fragments because of missing CQs. (see www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=technology.scout)
The fragments contain the jdbc drivers.

We try to provide "unsupported" versions of the fragments in some other way soon.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #690176 is a reply to message #686655] Wed, 29 June 2011 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should we start a project on eclipse Labs to host the fragment... and to provide a p2 update site... (I would like to have it easy to install)

Is it possible to imagine an installation mechanism like the SVN Connector Discovery? Something like "Database engine discovery".

Is it possible to "fork" the old code base (before revision 804). Or is there a legal issue too?

I have also a partial MysqlSqlStyle (extending AbstractSqlStyle) [usefull for StatementBuilder] that also could belong to a such project...

I do not have enough knowledge to set it up, but I am definitively interested.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #691589 is a reply to message #685030] Fri, 01 July 2011 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukas Huser is currently offline Lukas HuserFriend
To build your own fragment containing the MySql jdbc driver you can try the following:

0. Download the current MySql jdbc driver, e.g. mysql-connector-java-5.1.16-bin.jar

If you are in the Scout perspective, switch to the Java perspective first.
1. Create a new fragment project in eclipse: File -> New -> Other... (or hit [Ctrl+N])
2. Choose Plug-in Development -> Fragment Project in the wizard, click 'next'
3. Choose a project name, e.g. com.example.myproject.server.jdbc.mysql.fragment
4. Untick checkbox 'Create a java project', keep the other settings, click 'next'
5. Fill the 'Properties' section
- Set the Version to '5.1.16' (or whatever version of MySql you are using)
- Set a name for the fragment, e.g. 'MySql jdbc connector'
- Set a Provider (or keep empty)
6. Fill the 'Host Plug-in' section
- Set Plug-in ID to org.eclipse.scout.rt.server (this is important!)
- Minimum and maximum version can be left empty
7. Finish the wizard. A new fragment project is created in your workspace (it should contain a folder META-INF with the MANIFEST.MF file and also a build.properties file)
8. Create a 'lib' folder in your project: Choose New -> Folder from the context menu of the fragment project
9. Drag and drop the MySql library to the lib folder
10. Open the MANIFEST.MF file (double-click). The manifest editor should open, it has multiple tabs (at the bottom). Switch to the Runtime tab.
11. Add the MySql library to the bundle class path: There is a section called 'Classpath' on the right. Use the Add.. button and select the jar file from the lib folder. Save the changes.
12. Switch to the MANIFEST.MF tab in the manifest editor to see the manifest file in plain text. It should look similar to this:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: Mysql jdbc connector
Bundle-SymbolicName: com.example.myproject.server.jdbc.mysql.fragment
Bundle-Version: 5.1.16
Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.scout.rt.server
Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.6
Bundle-ClassPath: lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.16-bin.jar

13. You're done!

You can now add the new fragment to the product dependencies:
Open the product configuration file of the server bundle (e.g. com.example.myproject.server -> products -> development, open the .product file)
Add the new fragment in the Dependencies tab. Switch to the Overview tab, click the 'Synchronize' link in the 'Testing' section, then click the link to 'Launch an eclipse application in debug mode'.

Note: this assumes that you do not rely on a custom SqlStyle for MySql, but merely adds the required dependencies to connect to the MySql database (similar to the fragments provided in previous Scout distributions).

I have not actually tested the steps above myself, but I hope it works for you Smile
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #721703 is a reply to message #685030] Fri, 02 September 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will give a try to JDBC Drivers for Eclipse Scout.

Thanks for this integration on the Market-place.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #721917 is a reply to message #721703] Sat, 03 September 2011 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Li Hao is currently offline Li HaoFriend
I have follow the instruction in Lukas Huser's post to created the fragment for postgresql jdbc driver to use in my recent project and it works perfectly. I believe MySql should be the same.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #722285 is a reply to message #721917] Mon, 05 September 2011 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remo Arpagaus is currently offline Remo ArpagausFriend
Just like Jeremie pointed out the Third-Party drivers were moved to the Eclipse Marketplace.

Simply drag the "Install" symbol into your Eclipse workspace. Alternatively your are free of course to build your own driver fragments.
Re: Eclipse Scout RC4: MySql support? [message #739165 is a reply to message #691589] Mon, 17 October 2011 06:52 Go to previous message
Lukas Huser wrote on Fri, 01 July 2011 21:38
To build your own fragment containing the MySql jdbc driver you can try the following...

See also this How-To on the wiki: Scout/HowTo/Write_a_jdbc_connection_bundle
Previous Topic:Can't use other bundle
Next Topic:Scout RT - Questions...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:19:01 GMT 2024