Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » merge or change workspace(is it possible to merge two workspace into one?)
merge or change workspace [message #684514] Wed, 15 June 2011 17:36 Go to next message
freetochoose is currently offline freetochooseFriend
Hi:

I have one workspace d:\me\java for all my java projects.
Now I have another workspace d:\me\php for my php projects.
so i need to switch workspace which involves quitting eclipse
when i want to switch between working on java and php files.
is it possible for me to create another workspace, let's call
it d:\myprojects? and this one will have a folder called java
and another called php. and all my java projects will be in
d:\myprojects\java and php files in d:\myprojects\php
and they are all under one workspace.
if it is possible, how i should do it?
i think just copying files from d:\me\php into d:\myprojects\php
and from d:\me\java to d:\myprojects\java probably won't work,
because eclipse saves workspace settings in these folders.
and this way, i will just end up with two workspaces under
d:\myprojects, not one workspace.

any idea and help are appreciated.
thanks a lot in advance.

ftc
Re: merge or change workspace [message #684529 is a reply to message #684514] Wed, 15 June 2011 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You can't get the folder structure you want. But you can create a new workspace, and import the projects from the other 2 using File>Import...>Existing projects into workspace.

If you want, you can even leave them where they are on disk (don't copy them in).

If you want to transfer preferences from the old workspaces to the new one, export the preferences from the old ones and use File>Import...>Preferences to import them them into the new one.

PW

Re: merge or change workspace [message #684672 is a reply to message #684529] Thu, 16 June 2011 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul:

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have tried a few times. It seems that Eclipse does not allow projects in subfolder in a workspace. For example, I have a workspace d:\myworkspace and in it, I created a folder called java and a folder called php.
There is no way to put projects inside d:\myworkspace\java or d:\myworkspace\php.
All projects will be in d:\myworkspace. So it seems that I have no way of grouping projects inside a workspace. I even tried to create a project called java and a project called php and tried to create sub-projects. And this does not work either.
Thanks a lot for your help, but I wish Eclipse let me group projects into folders.

ftc
Re: merge or change workspace [message #684976 is a reply to message #684672] Thu, 16 June 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You are confusing workspaces with projects. A workspace is a view of the universe of all possible projects. It is a specific list of projects that you want to work on as a unit. Projects are not required to reside in the workspace directory. They can exist almost any where on your file system. In fact, maintaining projects outside of the workspace makes it easier to manage them.

When creating new projects, Eclipse defaults to placing them in the workspace directory. You can change this on the first Wizard page by unchecking the Use default location box. This allows you to specify a location most anywhere outside the workspace directory. If you want to group all of your projects together under a single directory, you can do something like creating d:\myprojects\. Create a subdirectory java for java projects and php for php projects (d:\myprojects\java and d:\myprojects\php). You can then create/copy your projects into subdirectories under java or php.
Re: merge or change workspace [message #685034 is a reply to message #684976] Thu, 16 June 2011 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot for your clarification. I was wrong under the impression that all projects need to be in the same workspace for them to get loaded when Eclipse switches to that particular workspace.

ftc
Re: merge or change workspace [message #685035 is a reply to message #685034] Thu, 16 June 2011 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way, the workspace directory can really be ignored according to you. It is just a default place where new projects are put into. Am I right?

ftc
Re: merge or change workspace [message #685098 is a reply to message #685035] Thu, 16 June 2011 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
It can be ignored for the most part as far as projects are concerned. Preferences can be set at the project or workspace level. If you set them at the workspace level, they are stored in the workspace directory. They are then used when working with any project referenced by the workspace unless the project over rides them with project preferences.
Re: merge or change workspace [message #685185 is a reply to message #685098] Fri, 17 June 2011 01:49 Go to previous message
Thank you very much.

ftc
Previous Topic:How to check type hierarchy of a Java Class ?
Next Topic:[Solved] Remove expand/collapse button in Package Explorer view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:45:03 GMT 2024