Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Can't start off with a empty target platform
Can't start off with a empty target platform [message #684491] Wed, 15 June 2011 16:51 Go to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
In a new, empty workspace, I went to Window --> Preferences --> Target Platform and un-checked the default target (which is the running IDE platform). It then told me that I had no active target - good.

I now open a CQuery and materialize it. My RMap points to everything required, including the helios p2 site. Buckminster as expected creates a .buckminster/tp directory to hold the target platform.

After materializtion, I go to the look at the target platform defintion, and see that in addition to .buckminster/tp it also includes the ${eclipse_home} installation, which is NOT what I wanted - that contains the wrong version of various things.

Is the observed behaviour as expected, or a bug?

I was able to work around it by defining an explicit target platform, pointing to an empty directory, but is there another way?

This is Helios SR2 by the way.

Thanks
Re: Can't start off with a empty target platform [message #684569 is a reply to message #684491] Wed, 15 June 2011 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 2011-06-15 18:51, Matthew Webber wrote:
> In a new, empty workspace, I went to Window --> Preferences --> Target Platform and un-checked the default target (which
> is the running IDE platform). It then told me that I had no active target - good.
>
Not really. I think you should create an empty target platform and add a directory to it. Then set that as the active
target platform. Buckminster will then use that as the default destination for everything binary.

> I now open a CQuery and materialize it. My RMap points to everything required, including the helios p2 site. Buckminster
> as expected creates a .buckminster/tp directory to hold the target platform.
>
> After materializtion, I go to the look at the target platform defintion, and see that in addition to .buckminster/tp it
> also includes the ${eclipse_home} installation, which is NOT what I wanted - that contains the wrong version of various
> things.
>
This is the default behavior when Buckminster doesn't find an active target platform.

> Is the observed behaviour as expected, or a bug?
>
It's expected.

> I was able to work around it by defining an explicit target platform, pointing to an empty directory, but is there
> another way?
>
No, that's the way to do it. If you run headless you can use the preference setting targetPlatformPath. It will
automatically create an empty (and active) target platform unless it doesn't already exist.

HTH,
Thomas Hallgren
Re: Can't start off with a empty target platform [message #684851 is a reply to message #684569] Thu, 16 June 2011 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Thomas, that clarifies things.
Re: Can't start off with a empty target platform [message #684930 is a reply to message #684851] Thu, 16 June 2011 13:41 Go to previous message
A further note for anyone following this: I also tested defining an empty target platform (i.e. one with no locations) and setting it as active. In this case, Buckminster still uses ${eclipse_home}.

In order to avoid having Buckminster picking up components from teh running Eclipse, you must define a targe platform which has real content - an empty directory - and set it to active.

This applies to using Buckminster through the IDE, I have not yet tested this with headless.
Previous Topic:Appending to an Existing p2 repository
Next Topic:Finding the location of another component
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:42:10 GMT 2024