Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » JavaServer Faces » Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page
Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #682267] Fri, 10 June 2011 18:15 Go to next message
Hauke Mising name is currently offline Hauke Mising nameFriend
Hello everyone,

I am kind of new with jsf, and I also got this working before, but now its not working anymore. I tried to search here inside the forum but I am not sure about the exact wording or name of the function.

If I have a bean (TestBean.java) and if I am inside an xhtml page and I type something like

<h:outputText value="#{TestBean.

I want all available methods to display (after ctrl+space), but this isn't working anymore.

What is the name of this function? Is that called tab-completion or code-completion?

Many greetings,
Hauke

PS: Using JSF 2.0 and the latest eclipse version
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #682275 is a reply to message #682267] Fri, 10 June 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 10-Jun-11 12:15, Hauke wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am kind of new with jsf, and I also got this working before, but now
> its not working anymore. I tried to search here inside the forum but I
> am not sure about the exact wording or name of the function.
>
> If I have a bean (TestBean.java) and if I am inside an xhtml page and I
> type something like
>
> <h:outputText value="#{TestBean.
>
> I want all available methods to display (after ctrl+space), but this
> isn't working anymore.
>
> What is the name of this function? Is that called tab-completion or
> code-completion?
>
> Many greetings,
> Hauke
>
> PS: Using JSF 2.0 and the latest eclipse version

In Eclipse it's called "Content Assist". You're on the right track.
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #682470 is a reply to message #682275] Sat, 11 June 2011 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hauke Mising name is currently offline Hauke Mising nameFriend
Hi,

thanks for the information. But I think that content assist is if you enter
<h:
And you get all possible tags starting with <h:

That is working fine, but the accessing of the beans isn't working. Does anyone has
an idea?

Thanks and many greetings,
Hauke
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #684508 is a reply to message #682470] Wed, 15 June 2011 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Trimble is currently offline Ian TrimbleFriend
Both forms are known as content assist, but let's not dwell on that. Have you declared the Java class as a Managed Bean named "TestBean"?
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #684599 is a reply to message #684508] Wed, 15 June 2011 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard A. Sitze is currently offline Richard A. SitzeFriend

May or may not be the issue here: Content assist only works with managed beans defined in the faces-config.xml file; JSF 2.0 managed beans declared by the @ManagedBean annotation are not recognized as such by the eclipse JSF tooling (hence content assist fails) - see bugs [306428, 323709, ...].

I've been hoping that the new Indigo release would fix this, but it appears these bugs are "deferred for future" resolution.
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #684601 is a reply to message #684599] Wed, 15 June 2011 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I missed the JSF 2.0 connection - Richard is, of course, absolutely correct. We didn't have the resources available to make the necessary enhancements in the Indigo timeframe. We do welcome contributions to the project, though.
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #684639 is a reply to message #684601] Thu, 16 June 2011 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard A. Sitze is currently offline Richard A. SitzeFriend

Ian Trimble wrote on Wed, 15 June 2011 18:18
.... We do welcome contributions to the project, though.

If you or anyone would take the time to get me up to speed on:
a) how to setup eclipse dev env for eclipse/JSF
b) generally where to start

I'd be happy to take a look at the code & see if I can come up with a solution to contribute when/if/as my schedule opens up a bit. Busy busy busy Smile

Just FYI, while it's been a while, I do have some history with Apache open source projects (axis, commons-logging & commons-discovery).

<ras>
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #686680 is a reply to message #684639] Wed, 22 June 2011 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since JSF Tools is a sub-project of WTP, a good place to start would be http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/. The way I approach development is to grab a recent version of WTP and pre-reqs, setup a CVS connection (until you're a committer, you can get read-only anonymous access - see links from the WTP dev page, above), and get JSF plug-ins that you are interested in developing. Then, you can contribute any work by logging a bug or enhancement request against JSF Tools and attaching a patch; we do our best to try to find time to look at contributed patches.
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #690173 is a reply to message #686680] Wed, 29 June 2011 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicolasdiogo  is currently offline nicolasdiogo Friend
thanks for the question

i was coming here to ask this very question (find a solution)
i have added annotations to my classes as per JSF2 docs - but i find that Eclipse Indigo does not recognise my classes when trying to use "Content Assist",

the solution while developing seems to use the "faces-config.xml" to register my classes - when the "Content Assist" starts to work as expected.

has this been filled as a bug or an enhancement anywhere?

thanks a lot
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #690518 is a reply to message #690173] Wed, 29 June 2011 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, a number of times, in Bugzilla. Here's one that I found quite quickly: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=306428.
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #690778 is a reply to message #690518] Thu, 30 June 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicolasdiogo  is currently offline nicolasdiogo Friend
thanks Ian,

lets hope support is added soon(ish)
Re: Accessing Bean Functions and Names from xhtml page [message #1784916 is a reply to message #682267] Thu, 05 April 2018 17:58 Go to previous message
Patricio  Pujos is currently offline Patricio PujosFriend
Go: Help -> Install New Software
ADD: download.jboss.org/jbosstools/oxygen/development/updates/
Expand-> JBoss Web and Java EE Development
And select: Jboss Tools JSF

This should fix the problem...
Previous Topic:integrating Birt report into Oracle ADF
Next Topic:Dynamic URLS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:31:32 GMT 2024