Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder(Looking for feedback)
Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #682200] Fri, 10 June 2011 15:40 Go to next message
Vineet Sinha is currently offline Vineet SinhaFriend
I was suggested to post this e-mail here. I have been a big fan of WindowBuilder and have been excited with it being recently open sourced.

With that being said, I have noticed that many developers have a hard time becoming contributors to open source projects as they may not clearly understand the main concepts and the architecture. I have been trying to make sure the we (at Architexa) can help here.

We have been working on a cool project - trying to help developers get started with the guts of WindowBuilder. We have created a simple site consisting of architectural documentation for main ideas of WindowBuilder. You can find them here: http://codemaps.org/s/WindowBuilder

We want to make this resource available to everyone, and have made it the underlying tooling free for projects like WindowBuilder. If you haven't heard about it - we build tooling to help get simple and useful diagrams from a codebase. There is a small video demo-ing it here: http://www.architexa.com/learn-more/videos/intro/video. You can find more information on our support for Open Source projects initiative here: http://www.architexa.com/start/open-source

We have gotten some positive feedback for the site, but I wanted to start rolling it out with WindowBuilder. I are really curious to hear what the WindowBuilder community thinks of CodeMaps.

Regards,
Vineet
--
Founder, Architexa - www.architexa.com
Understand & Document Code In Seconds
Re: Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #682229 is a reply to message #682200] Fri, 10 June 2011 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Thanks! Looks really interesting.

I will be curious as to whether other potential users of the WB framework find it useful as well.

BTW, your tool looks quite useful and very handy for framework visualization and reverse engineering.
Re: Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #682272 is a reply to message #682229] Fri, 10 June 2011 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric, Glad you like what we are doing. We actually have a number of capabilities that we plan to roll out to make the site even more useful. But I am really looking forward to hearing what people like and what people want more of.

-Vineet
Re: Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #704142 is a reply to message #682200] Thu, 28 July 2011 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernd  is currently offline Bernd Friend
I am working on a plugin that extends WindowBuilder and quite a lot of times when I googled a problem your site popped up and the diagrams helped a lot.
So, I like the idea of it Smile .
Re: Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #704247 is a reply to message #704142] Thu, 28 July 2011 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
I'm glad to hear that! I would encourage other developers who want to extend WindowBuilder to take a look at what Vineet's teams has produced. As I understand it, Vineet's team is interested in producing additional diagrams to answer various questions or explore other parts of the WB code base. if anyone had suggestions of additional diagrams they would like to see, please post them here.
Re: Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #710311 is a reply to message #682200] Thu, 04 August 2011 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Millard is currently offline Mark MillardFriend
What I really need is a discussion on the architecture of WindowBuilder, bringing context to the component implementations. This would usually be provided in a Software Design Specification of some sort. The component description document that is referenced throughout this wiki (*.wbp-component.xml) is just not enough to make rapid progress on writing new extensions or targeting other toolkits.
Re: Getting Developers involved with WindowBuilder [message #710994 is a reply to message #710311] Fri, 05 August 2011 16:58 Go to previous message
Bernd,
Glad you liked. If you signup on the site, you will be notified when anyone puts up more content. We have been getting feedback over the last week and will be posting more in the next few days.

Also, if you install the Architexa client, you should be able to open the diagram within Eclipse and jump to the code directly. Our free Eclipse viewer is not ready yet, but if you send us an e-mail I will make sure to get you a free license while you are working on WindowBuilder.

Mark,
Thanks for the request. Sometime it is not easy to know what we should prioritize with regards to documenting. We will get something up on that - hopefully later today.

Looking forward to more feedback.

Regards,
-Vineet
--
Founder, Architexa - www.architexa.com
Understand & Document Code In Seconds
Previous Topic:Day/night mode for design view
Next Topic:SWTResourceManager: Error from Wrong Build File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:50:35 GMT 2024