Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere
Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere [message #682084] Fri, 10 June 2011 11:31 Go to next message
S is currently offline SFriend
Hej there,

I'm trying to extract a KDM Code Model from "ADempiere" without success.
I have checked out the sources tagged Adempiere360lts via svn as a Java Project.

The repository is located at sourceforge here: https: //adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/adempiere/tags/adempiere360lts/

The scenario is the following:
When I start the Discovery Process (choosing 'MoDisco' -> 'Discover KDM Code Model from Java Project' from the context menu) it begins processing without errors. It then remains executing with more or less full cpu occupation for days. The longest period I've waited for termination before I aborted the process has been about 20 days.
The intermediate java model (.javaxmi) is succesfully generated within a few hours. Its size is about 600 Megabytes. It seems that the problem is located at the translation process to KDM.

As far as I could see, there is no way to display "current progress information" e.g., describing which class / package is processed at the moment. Please correct me if I am wrong here!

I've tried the discovery process using Eclipse Helios Modeling Package (3.6.2 SR2) / MoDisco v0.8.2 and also Eclipse Indigo Modeling Package (3.7.0 RC1) / MoDisco v0.9.0 on a windows xp64 system.

The hardware I use is a x86 64bit with 16gb of RAM.
I had to increase the maximum heap space in the eclipse.ini to avoid running into heap space errors. I set it to up 16gb or even more. I noticed a nearly constant maximum usage by the transformation process of about 13gb after a few hours of an increasing curve.

I've tested with both checked "incremental mode" and without.
I did not select any external libraries for the discovery process.

Other model discoveries from smaller projects (e.g., JPetStore, JForum) perform well with successfully generated models after a few seconds / minutes.

I hope that I gave you all necessary information.

Did anybody experience similar problems?
Is it erroneos behaviour or does it take such a very long time?!
Did anybody successfully discover a KDM Code Model from ADempiere?
Do you know what I should try to get it working?

Thanks, Søren
Re: Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere [message #682164 is a reply to message #682084] Fri, 10 June 2011 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabien Giquel is currently offline Fabien GiquelFriend
Hi,

we did not encounter some similar problem. It seems to be erroneos transfroamtion behaviour not to stop (heap space or not). I am having a try on these sources for understanding and give you an explanation.

Fabien.

----------------------------------------------------
Fabien GIQUEL
R&D Engineer
Mia-Software
rue Nina Simone
44000 NANTES
Re: Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere [message #682179 is a reply to message #682084] Fri, 10 June 2011 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it the "base" Java project you are reverse engineering from adempiere360lts/ ? I got only one 380 Megabytes intermediate .javaxmi model file.

Fabien GIQUEL
R&D Engineer
Mia-Software
rue Nina Simone
44000 NANTES
Re: Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere [message #684882 is a reply to message #682179] Thu, 16 June 2011 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hej, sorry for answering that late.

First I've tried to reverse engineer the complete trunk of ADempiere360lts with all of its subprojects. That gave me the 600MB .javaxmi file. Then I tried it with single subprojects too. The base project produced a 380MB file for me, exactly as you reported.

I followed this approach and got all projects / folders modeled, except the "base". The base project seems to the erroneous one.

Have you been able to discover the kdm model of the "base" project?

Søren
Re: Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere [message #685985 is a reply to message #684882] Tue, 21 June 2011 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did not success in discovering kdm model from the base 380Mo java one. It fails with "OutOfMemory" error. My configuration is weaker than yours (32 bits arch).

The java->kdm process still need some benchmark for scalability/robustness improvements. For instance extending our existing java benchmark (org.eclipse.modisco.java.discoverer.benchmark) may allow to launch the kdm discovery on various projects size. Thus we may obtain the problem you observe (erroneous transformation behaviour), and work on it.

In the meanwhile, i suggest you try to use some Java discovery parameter for getting one smaller .javaxmi file : DEEP_ANALYSIS to false, or EXCLUDED_ELEMENTS_REGEX.
Another way may be to divide the 'base' project in some two or three projects.

Fabien GIQUEL
R&D Engineer
Mia-Software
rue Nina Simone
44000 NANTES
Re: Infinite (?) execution when trying to discover KDM code model from ADempiere [message #690355 is a reply to message #685985] Wed, 29 June 2011 12:22 Go to previous message
Hej again!

Thank you for your support!
I will delay that project, because it is not inevitable right now and will tune in to it later again.

However, I'm still interested in extracting the ADempiere KDM model, so please let me know if you find some reasons/fixes for this translation issue.

Søren
Previous Topic:[Modisco 0.9] How to Discover Model and Generate Code programmatically?
Next Topic:Modisco installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:04:24 GMT 2024