Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » All project changes - Access is Denied(After system crash all eclipse projects will open but cannot run or change!)
All project changes - Access is Denied [message #677265] Tue, 07 June 2011 23:37 Go to next message
don  is currently offline don Friend
Hi all,

I have been running Eclipse Galileo on Vista Business for a little over a year. No major problems until Sunday. My system crashed and when I finally was able to bring it up with a CD-ROM boot and restore the operating system to an earlier restore point I found I could not change any of the Eclipse projects I had developed. It should be noted that Eclipse was not up at the time of the crash.

I have done a lot of searching but the results are always one or two issues nothing that covers all aspects of a project.

I can open any project that I have developed. They look exactly like I last saved them; however I cannot run (via Tomcat 6.0.29) or change any code and save the change and when I close the workbench can not be saved (next time opens at default setting but not the first time). I always get Access is Denied after the file I was trying to affect. There must be some mechanism that is security across the entire Eclipse application.

This is a home workstation, I am the only one who signs on, I am in effect the Admin. Anyone have any ideas on how I can regain access to my project content.

Thanks much.

Don
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #677272 is a reply to message #677265] Wed, 08 June 2011 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Don,

Can you change any of the affected files using something like notepad
without a problem? As far as I know, Eclipse don't nothing fancy with
respect to security beyond what the OS itself enforces....

don wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been running Eclipse Galileo on Vista Business for a little
> over a year. No major problems until Sunday. My system crashed and
> when I finally was able to bring it up with a CD-ROM boot and restore
> the operating system to an earlier restore point I found I could not
> change any of the Eclipse projects I had developed. It should be
> noted that Eclipse was not up at the time of the crash.
>
> I have done a lot of searching but the results are always one or two
> issues nothing that covers all aspects of a project.
>
> I can open any project that I have developed. They look exactly like
> I last saved them; however I cannot run (via Tomcat 6.0.29) or change
> any code and save the change and when I close the workbench can not be
> saved (next time opens at default setting but not the first time). I
> always get Access is Denied after the file I was trying to affect.
> There must be some mechanism that is security across the entire
> Eclipse application.
>
> This is a home workstation, I am the only one who signs on, I am in
> effect the Admin. Anyone have any ideas on how I can regain access to
> my project content.
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Don

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #677313 is a reply to message #677265] Wed, 08 June 2011 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 08.06.2011 01:37, don wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been running Eclipse Galileo on Vista Business for a little
> over a year. No major problems until Sunday. My system crashed and
> when I finally was able to bring it up with a CD-ROM boot and restore
> the operating system to an earlier restore point I found I could not
> change any of the Eclipse projects I had developed. It should be
> noted that Eclipse was not up at the time of the crash.
>
> I have done a lot of searching but the results are always one or two
> issues nothing that covers all aspects of a project.
>
> I can open any project that I have developed. They look exactly like
> I last saved them; however I cannot run (via Tomcat 6.0.29) or change
> any code and save the change and when I close the workbench can not be
> saved (next time opens at default setting but not the first time). I
> always get Access is Denied after the file I was trying to affect.
> There must be some mechanism that is security across the entire
> Eclipse application.
>
> This is a home workstation, I am the only one who signs on, I am in
> effect the Admin. Anyone have any ideas on how I can regain access to
> my project content.
Did you verify that the file permissions grant write access (i.e. not
read only)?

Dani
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Don
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #677565 is a reply to message #677313] Wed, 08 June 2011 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dani,

Sorry I sent this reply to Ed the other night via my mail client rather then using the proper forum link.

I was able to take a .java file and edit it in Notepad though when I opened the file in the eclipse project I had to refresh the page before it would show.

However when I tried to edit the same line in Eclipse and then save it I received the same error I am always receiving since the crash:

Could not write file: C:\Users\XYZ\eclipse\workspace1\project2\src\com\xyz\workspace1\core\MyLogger.java.

C:\Users\XYZ\eclipse\workspace1\project2\src\com\xyz\workspace1\core\MyLogger.java (Access is denied)

No Joy.

Don

Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #681984 is a reply to message #677565] Fri, 10 June 2011 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 08.06.2011 22:29, don wrote:
> Hi Dani,
>
> Sorry I sent this reply to Ed the other night via my mail client
> rather then using the proper forum link.
>
>
> I was able to take a .java file and edit it in Notepad though when I
> opened the file in the eclipse project I had to refresh the page
> before it would show.
>
> However when I tried to edit the same line in Eclipse and then save it
> I received the same error I am always receiving since the crash:
>
> Could not write file:
> C:\Users\XYZ\eclipse\workspace1\project2\src\com\xyz\workspace1\core\MyLogger.java.
>
> C:\Users\XYZ\eclipse\workspace1\project2\src\com\xyz\workspace1\core\MyLogger.java
> (Access is denied)

That sounds strange. I suspect that Eclipse and Notepad are not executed
as the same user. Maybe you run Notepad as admin? You could use the
Process Monitor
(http://technet.microsoft.com/de-ch/sysinternals/bb896645) to figure
this out. A workaround could be to copy/move the workspace to e.g.
C:\workspaces and try again.

Dani
>
> No Joy.
>
> Don
>
>
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #682221 is a reply to message #681984] Fri, 10 June 2011 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dani, thanks I'll try that but before I do let me update on what I have found so far.

I can create a new workspace (Eclipse workbench) and then create a new project that appears to work - definitely allows me to edit and save without errors. However when I came back to open the workbench later it was not listed with the other workbenchs created before the crash. I could still access it by typing in the name but I could not see it. Still I'm concerned about putting any work into something I might have to abandon.

Also I can create a new project from within a workbench where pre-crash projects are no longer allowing any change. Surprisingly to me, the new projects under the old workbench do allow me to add new pages/files and then edit their content. I can not run the new projects because I can not access the workbench Tomcat. I get this error:

'Could not save Tomcat server configuration: could not write file: C:\Users\XYZ\eclipse\workspace1\Servers\Apache Tomcat 6.0.29 at localhost-config\server.xml.

After you try to run a few times the error becomes:

An internal error occurred during: "Starting Apache Tomcat v6.0.29 at localhost".
java.lang.NullPointerException

And as always when closing the project from a pre-crash workbench I get:
'Problem occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench.'

I'll continue to post results as they occur.

Don
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #694111 is a reply to message #677265] Thu, 07 July 2011 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jas  is currently offline jas Friend
Don, I've the same problem. I can't save anythign using eclipse and can save the same file usig textpad. I've tried copying workspace to another location but that didn't work either.
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #694118 is a reply to message #694111] Thu, 07 July 2011 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI JAS;

What eventually seemed to worked for me (I'm using Vista Business) was to open the Windows Explorer, navigate to the Eclipse workspace, select the root folder with the mouse and using the right mouse button open the context menu and select 'Properties'.

In the property dialog 'General' tab place a check in the Hidden Attribute box and click Apply.

This should bring up another dialog window, if not already selected, select 'Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.' and click Okay. Of course you don't want the files hidden but this allows you to change them all in two moves.

Finally with the property dialog window still open (or reopen if you closed) repeat the last step only this time you will remove the check from the Hidden Attribute and click Apply, and apply to all subfolders and files.

The problem I had was that the crash appparently caused some subdirectories and some files to have their Hidden attribute set. I found the approach above was easier then going through all the files and unsetting the hidden attribute.

Hope that works for you.
Don
Re: All project changes - Access is Denied [message #815036 is a reply to message #694111] Wed, 07 March 2012 06:26 Go to previous message
daphna k is currently offline daphna kFriend
I had a similar problem. in my case it started after activating Windows User Account Control. when i disabled it i was able to edit my files again.
Previous Topic:Proposal: Jump to middle of current line - new key shortcut
Next Topic:Eclipse crashes after SVN commit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:58:16 GMT 2024