Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Problem with the RCP Texteditor example
Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677106] Tue, 07 June 2011 15:24 Go to next message
Anders  is currently offline Anders Friend
Hi everybody

Im new to the site and somewhat of a noob programmer, so be gentle Smile - I'm working on a RCP application and want to make a texteditor, I found the site (discovered I cant post links yet so you will get one without www):

eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-text/development/rcp/examples/index.html

and wanted to have a look at the code used and try the program. I get the same problem as this guy who posted earlier but got no response (as far as I can see).

eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/646742/?srch=RCP+text+editor+example#msg_646742

can anyone help? It would be MUCH appreciated! - and sorry for not having links, but its my first post so I'm not allowed, yet.

- Anders
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677111 is a reply to message #677106] Tue, 07 June 2011 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tihomir  is currently offline Tihomir Friend
Hello,

I would for start check if the correct target platform is used. It seams that you don't have required plugins.

BR, Tihomir
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677118 is a reply to message #677111] Tue, 07 June 2011 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your answer but...

I am trying to start it from my workspace and I followed the described steps written in the guide. How do I figure out what the target platform is and/or how to get what plugins?

- Anders
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677123 is a reply to message #677118] Tue, 07 June 2011 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are just starting learning how to develop eclipse RCP applications, maybe it would be better to start with some other example. I would recommend the examples generated by eclipse wizard. Vogella provides nice tutorial for those examples: http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html#firstrcp.
In that way you will be sure that examples doesn't use dependencies (plugins or specific plugin version) that doesn't exist in your target platform.

Target platform is set in Eclipse: "Preferences|Plug-in Development|Target Platform".

Tihomir
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677128 is a reply to message #677123] Tue, 07 June 2011 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done all the first step examples! But as I asked before how do i figure out what target platform to run this from, or in another way how do I get this baby running Very Happy
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677169 is a reply to message #677106] Tue, 07 June 2011 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I misunderstood you.

But I still think that this example is outdated and not compatible with current eclipse version. Eclipse home folder is the default target platform (Running platform).

I've downloaded the example and I sow deprecated types are used, for example:
org.eclipse.core.runtime.IPlatformRunnable , etc. The plug-ins delivered with the example are build in 2007 and corresponding plugins in current eclipse are build in 2010.

I suppose you would need eclipse version 3.3.
Platform version 3.6 doesn't know how to start rcp applicateion from the example. Application ID is missing in my test.

Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677379 is a reply to message #677169] Wed, 08 June 2011 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 07.06.2011 20:59, Tihomir wrote:
> Sorry I misunderstood you.
>
> But I still think that this example is outdated and not compatible
> with current eclipse version. Eclipse home folder is the default
> target platform (Running platform).
>
> I've downloaded the example and I sow deprecated types are used, for
> example: org.eclipse.core.runtime.IPlatformRunnable , etc.
Deprecated doesn't mean it's not working ;-)

Dani
> The plug-ins delivered with the example are build in 2007 and
> corresponding plugins in current eclipse are build in 2010.
> I suppose you would need eclipse version 3.3. Platform version 3.6
> doesn't know how to start rcp applicateion from the example.
> Application ID is missing in my test.
>
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677380 is a reply to message #677106] Wed, 08 June 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 07.06.2011 17:24, Anders wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Im new to the site and somewhat of a noob programmer, so be gentle :)
> - I'm working on a RCP application and want to make a texteditor, I
> found the site (discovered I cant post links yet so you will get one
> without www):
>
> eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-text/development/rcp/examples/index.html
> and wanted to have a look at the code used and try the program. I get
> the same problem as this guy who posted earlier but got no response
> (as far as I can see).
>
> eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/646742/?srch=RCP+text+editor+example#msg_646742
>
>
> can anyone help?
I've updated the page but please note that I did not convert all the
code to use the newest APIs. But at least it should work now.

Dani
> It would be MUCH appreciated! - and sorry for not having links, but
> its my first post so I'm not allowed, yet.
>
> - Anders
Re: Problem with the RCP Texteditor example [message #677433 is a reply to message #677380] Wed, 08 June 2011 14:11 Go to previous message
Thank you so much guys for all the help!

Though I still get some errors, but ill try to look at it!

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2011 14:26]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Update View after command has changed model
Next Topic:adding the project explorer to a perspective
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:33:54 GMT 2024