Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » More deployment diagram questions(Node instances)
More deployment diagram questions [message #675560] Tue, 31 May 2011 20:51 Go to next message
Steve Blackwell is currently offline Steve BlackwellFriend
How do I create instances of a device or node?

For example, let's say I have a device called DevA that has other devices, nodes and artifacts inside it, all of which I have depicted in a deployment diagram.

Now, let's say I have another node that contains 4 DevAs linked by a network and these together comprise DevB. I created a second diagram and placed one new device node called DevB in it. Then I copied DevA from the 1st diagram and pasted 4 times into DevB. (As an aside, you cannot patse on top of an existing node. You have to paste outside its boundary and then drag inside). Finally, I created a node to represent the network. Links don't work but that's another issue.

Now I want to name the instances of DevA - D1, D2, D3 and D4. My understanding is that I should use a ':' between the general name and the instance name eg DevA : D1.
When I did this, all the instances of DevA took that same name. In other modelling systems, I have seen different pallet icons for node and node instance but that does not appear to be the case with Papyrus and I don't see anything appropriate in the properties.

Thanks,
Steve
icon5.gif  Re: More deployment diagram questions [message #1497601 is a reply to message #675560] Wed, 03 December 2014 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Günter Missing name is currently offline Günter Missing nameFriend
I don't know how to add another question to the same topic, so I use Reply. Sorry, I don't have an answer for Steve's question, but it is quite old anyway.
I have this question regarding a deployment diagram, Papyrus version 1.0.1.20140917:
How can I nest Device nodes more than two levels deep and show them in the diagram? I can create this kind of structure in the model view by adding child nodes, but when I drag a nested structure to a container device in the deployment diagram, only the top device is being shown inside the container device. (In my case the nested devices are "Real Time Model::base board::CPU::flash::boot".

By the way, I found a work-around. I created the devices bottom up. I created first a flash device and placed inside it a "boot" and an "application" device. Then I created an "EEPROM" and a "CPU" device. I then placed the "flash" and the "EEPROM" device into the "CPU" device, and subsequently the "CPU" device into the "base board" device. But I still wonder whether there is an easier way.

index.php/fa/20136/0/
  • Attachment: model.jpeg
    (Size: 25.97KB, Downloaded 1113 times)
Re: More deployment diagram questions [message #1503487 is a reply to message #1497601] Mon, 08 December 2014 14:09 Go to previous message
Stephen Blackwell is currently offline Stephen BlackwellFriend
Hi Gunter,

As you have noted, my question was never answered. I also wrote several bugs at the same time and your problem could be a result of the way in which bug #349322 https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349322 was fixed.
There does not seem to be much interest in Deployment diagrams. Bug #349324, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349324
which I also wrote around the same time is still open.

Steve
Previous Topic:"private OCL"
Next Topic:unable to generate java code from uml class diagram papyrus+luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:27:49 GMT 2024