Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Comparison - Virgo and JBoss(Comparison in between Virgo and JBoss)
Comparison - Virgo and JBoss [message #674927] Sun, 29 May 2011 14:53 Go to next message
Prashant  is currently offline Prashant Friend
Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum, not sure if this is the correct forum to ask my query.
I have never used Virgo before.

Can anyone please guide me,
1. With respect to OSGi, which is a good option Virgo + Tomcat OR JBoss?
2. Advantages and Disadvantages of Virgo.

We are about to start a new project using Java Web Service. Any pointer is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Prashant Z

[Updated on: Sun, 29 May 2011 14:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Comparison - Virgo and JBoss [message #675322 is a reply to message #674927] Tue, 31 May 2011 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tin N/A is currently offline Tin N/AFriend
Not easy to compare those two.

I would say this - Virgo is perfect for brewing your own infrastructure from scratch. That means - architecting the system that you intend to grow and use for many years to come. But in that case, be prepared to learn everything about Java, particularly about OSGi and class loading intricacies not only related to Virgo, but also to bundles/libraries you're using with it. On the flip side, when you master this, there is not much in Java and JEE that will be able to surprise you.

But, if you quickly need a ready-to-go environment with all the enterprise features, to use just to write and deploy one application, then a JEE server (either GlassFish, or JBoss, or Geronimo) is a better option.

Virgo would be comparable to JEE servers if it provided any of the enterprise features itself, but unfortunately it doesn't. Even though OSGi itself is meant to provide an easily extendable environment, when you start integrating JEE components (JNDI, JPA, JTA, JMS, JSF, JAXB, JAX-WS, ...), even though they're provided as bundles, you'll find that they often don't work and you'll have to do quite a bit of tweaking and even coding to make them function properly. So it's quite a complex and time-consuming initial investment, but once you manage to get it done, it provides a pretty comfortable environment to work in.

You mentioned web services - this is actually one of the things I need too, and so far I haven't been able to make it work in a true OSGi-like fashion. Because I need WSSE and other extended features (I'm working with Metro, haven't had the time to try CXF or Axis but no motivation for that either because they're quite a bit slower), I ran into bundle dependency hell and so far I've only been able to use them by including directly into consumer bundle. So, if your application is web services based, you may want to develop it on a JEE server. The good aspect being, when Virgo matures from the enterprise technology standpoint, you should be able to migrate it fairly easy.

Hope it helps, regards,
Tin
Re: Comparison - Virgo and JBoss [message #675715 is a reply to message #674927] Wed, 01 June 2011 09:30 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
See here for a list of Virgo benefits. There is some architectural comparison to JEE servers such as JBoss, but Tin's response was hopefully helpful in that respect.
Previous Topic:JPA setup present and future
Next Topic:Virgo 3.0.0.M05 available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:02:32 GMT 2024