Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Disabling Eclipse plugins upon startup programmatically
Disabling Eclipse plugins upon startup programmatically [message #673256] Mon, 23 May 2011 03:26 Go to next message
Raja Kannappan is currently offline Raja KannappanFriend
When application starts, we need to check if user is still authorized to certain modules of our application and if their license expires, we need to disable (or uninstall) those plugins, so that they don't show up when they start the application.

The idea is to make those plugins inactive based on some criteria. We need to do this very early so that any perspective or views from this plugin do not show up in Open Perspective or Show Views dialog.

Any idea on how to do this? Thanks,

- Raja.
Re: Disabling Eclipse plugins upon startup programmatically [message #673690 is a reply to message #673256] Tue, 24 May 2011 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You want to do this in your
org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.preStartup()

If there are plugin.xml contributions, you need to uninstall to make them disappear.

PW

Re: Disabling Eclipse plugins upon startup programmatically [message #674077 is a reply to message #673690] Wed, 25 May 2011 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your response.

How do I uninstall contributions from plugin.xml? Can you explain or point me to relevant sources? Thanks.

Re: Disabling Eclipse plugins upon startup programmatically [message #674303 is a reply to message #674077] Thu, 26 May 2011 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

Uninstalling a bundle will remove its plugin.xml contributions.

See http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-eclipse-bundlemgmt/index.html which talks about the bundle lifecycle, installing, starting, stoping, and uninstalling bundles.

PW

Re: Disabling Eclipse plugins upon startup programmatically [message #675630 is a reply to message #674303] Wed, 01 June 2011 04:12 Go to previous message
Thanks. This is what I was looking for.
Previous Topic:how to disable perspective's popup menu item
Next Topic:How to make my menu contribution appear after a plug-in menu contribution?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:38:53 GMT 2024