Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Libraries - can this be done?
Libraries - can this be done? [message #671514] Wed, 18 May 2011 07:43 Go to next message
Tom Simmons is currently offline Tom SimmonsFriend
I've been using Elcipse for a couple of years now, having previously used NetBeans.

I'm afraid I cannot say that I think Eclipse is better, but that's not up for discussion here.

One question I have is about Java Libraries. In NetBeans, outside of a project, you can create libraries. When you define a library you specify where the JARs are, then optionally you can specify where the JavaDoc and the source are. When you come to use a library in a project you add the library from the list of supplied or self defined and away you go. When debugging NetBeans knows where the docs/source are, and when you build in the distribution folder there is a folder of any external jars you need.

Under Eclipse I haven't found out how do do a similar thing. I have found under prefs you can create user libs, but you seem to have to specify the doc/source location each time you create a new project. Also the projects don't seem to hold a reference of which user libs are being reference, so each time you check out a project you need to configure it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Tom

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2011 07:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Libraries - can this be done? [message #671546 is a reply to message #671514] Wed, 18 May 2011 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Simmons is currently offline Tom SimmonsFriend
Hmm OK, think I might have found some of the answer.

At some point before I inheritted this project (only one I've ever worked in Eclipse) someone has excluded .project and .class from being stored in subversion. If I change this, then the library reference etc for the project will be stored and won't need setting up each time I check the project out.

This however doesn't address the library configuration like NetBeans has, where you configure the a library once with all the source and doc info and pull it in to the projects.

Thanks

Tom

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Libraries - can this be done? [message #671829 is a reply to message #671546] Thu, 19 May 2011 06:25 Go to previous message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Tom Simmons wrote on Wed, 18 May 2011 14:59

This however doesn't address the library configuration like NetBeans has, where you configure the a library once with all the source and doc info and pull it in to the projects.

You should be able to set the source folder and the doc folder when you create the user lib and then add the user library as the dependency in your project. Don't just add the jar, add the user library as the dependency. HTH.
Previous Topic:JSP/XML editing
Next Topic:question on ugly code formatting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:09:48 GMT 2024