Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » I just can't seem to commit...
I just can't seem to commit... [message #671406] Tue, 17 May 2011 18:52 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
sigh.. I've been trying to get some changes committed to our Eclipse repos and I just can't seem to catch a break. Wink The only clue I'm getting is:

"error occurred during unpacking on the remote end: unpack-objects abnormal exit"

This seems to happen after I do a Buckminster import for my platform, but that doesn't even use the git provider so I can't figure out how that might be causing the issue. I've filed a bug with Buckminster but that's grasping at straws a bit:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=346140
Re: I just can't seem to commit... [message #673223 is a reply to message #671406] Sun, 22 May 2011 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
The title of your post seems a bit inaccurate, in the mentioned bug you say that push is failing ...

Does push using native git hit the same problem ?
Re: I just can't seem to commit... [message #673529 is a reply to message #673223] Tue, 24 May 2011 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the attempt at humor didn't come off so well..

Anyway after a long saga today I got most of my stuff committed and, yep pushed. But then I just tried to commit a patch and same issue. There doesn't seem to be a pattern at all. This is what I get if I try to push from cmd-line. I'm not sure if this is simply a client permissions issue here or if it is actually giving me more information than EGit is...

Counting objects: 40, done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (16/16), done.
Writing objects: 100% (21/21), 7.03 KiB, done.
Total 21 (delta 11), reused 0 (delta 0)
error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database ./objects

fatal: failed to write object
error: unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit
To ssh://mparker@git.eclipse.org/gitroot/amp/org.eclipse.amp.git
! [remote rejected] master -> master (n/a (unpacker error))
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://mparker@git.eclipse.org/gitroot/amp/org.eclipse.amp.git'
Re: I just can't seem to commit... [message #673672 is a reply to message #673529] Tue, 24 May 2011 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Aniszczyk is currently offline Chris AniszczykFriend
Did you somehow create a git repository while root or some elevated set of permissions and then switch users? Some of the errors look like they are related to permissions.

'error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database ./objects'
Re: I just can't seem to commit... [message #673855 is a reply to message #673672] Wed, 25 May 2011 00:26 Go to previous message
Chris Aniszczyk wrote on Tue, 24 May 2011 08:54
Did you somehow create a git repository while root or some elevated set of permissions and then switch users? Some of the errors look like they are related to permissions.

'error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database ./objects'

Yep, solved, finally. It was actually a kind of corruption arguably, in the sense that the internal state wasn't consistent with what it needed to be. See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=346923 So nice to have a repos back that doesn't fail every other time I commit.. ..er.. push.
Previous Topic:Receiving tags and branches with jgit
Next Topic:Error in compare editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:00:29 GMT 2024