Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug(installation and configuration help needed)
AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #667923] Mon, 02 May 2011 19:09 Go to next message
Mike Cartwright is currently offline Mike CartwrightFriend
I have been developing PHP for a little while in Dreamweaver. I already had it installed and it works ok. But now I want to go to the PDT/Eclipse IDE and cannot get things working.

My system is a WIndows 7 64 bit and that seems to be the problem. I have tried downloading and installing several different ways, using different download files, but I seem to eventually wind up at the same point.

I get everything installed and working, but when I run a test PHP file, the breakpoints do not not seem to work correctly. This is the very simple test file:

<?php
echo 'this is a test';
$myvariable = "this is my variable";
phpinfo();
echo 'test again';
?>

I have preferences set to break at the first line. So I expect to initially suspend with no output, and then, as each instruction is stepped over, echo "this is a test". then the Variable is set, then PHP info displays, followed by echoing "test again".

But what actually happens is that neither echo statement does anything while single stepping through. But when the "phpinfo()" command is stepped into, both "this is a test" and phpinfo() displays.

I have tried loading both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Java, and different eclipse packages, but the results are alaways the same.

am not tied to eclipse, but my web research leads me to believe that it is the most widely used.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get a decent IDE for PHP installed on a windows 7 64 bit machine?
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #667954 is a reply to message #667923] Tue, 03 May 2011 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elkuku is currently offline elkukuFriend
Use Linux ;) sry..

I would guess, that implicit_flush is set to off ?

Try modifying your php.ini:
implicit_flush = On
output_buffering = 0

Maybe windows is not to blame (this time..)

Am 02.05.2011 14:09, schrieb Mike Cartwright:
> I have been developing PHP for a little while in Dreamweaver. I already
> had it installed and it works ok. But now I want to go to the
> PDT/Eclipse IDE and cannot get things working.
>
> My system is a WIndows 7 64 bit and that seems to be the problem. I have
> tried downloading and installing several different ways, using different
> download files, but I seem to eventually wind up at the same point.
>
> I get everything installed and working, but when I run a test PHP file,
> the breakpoints do not not seem to work correctly. This is the very
> simple test file:
>
> <?php
> echo 'this is a test';
> $myvariable = "this is my variable";
> phpinfo();
> echo 'test again';
> ?>
>
> I have preferences set to break at the first line. So I expect to
> initially suspend with no output, and then, as each instruction is
> stepped over, echo "this is a test". then the Variable is set, then PHP
> info displays, followed by echoing "test again".
>
> But what actually happens is that neither echo statement does anything
> while single stepping through. But when the "phpinfo()" command is
> stepped into, both "this is a test" and phpinfo() displays.
>
> I have tried loading both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Java, and
> different eclipse packages, but the results are alaways the same.
>
> am not tied to eclipse, but my web research leads me to believe that it
> is the most widely used.
>
> What am I doing wrong? How do I get a decent IDE for PHP installed on a
> windows 7 64 bit machine?
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #667991 is a reply to message #667954] Tue, 03 May 2011 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the input! I changed implicit_flush to "on". It did not make any difference. There is no "Output_bufferring" line in my PHP.ini
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #668067 is a reply to message #667991] Tue, 03 May 2011 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I removed everything and did a clean install. I had used the windows installer before, this time I use the zip file.

Now it all works better, but not as I expected. Once I set the output buffer to zero, I expected that every output would appear on the internal browser as it was encountered.

So in my test PHP file, the first echo statement doesn't doe anything until the phpinfo() is encountered, then it is output along with the phpinfo(). BUT, now the second echo works as I anticipated - when I step into it, it prints on the internal browser.

So, as a complete newbie to eclipse/xdebug/xampp, I am left wondering if it is not configured correctly, or if it is actually working as it should, but I am in error thinking I should see the first echo right away?
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #674824 is a reply to message #668067] Sat, 28 May 2011 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DevByStarlight  is currently offline DevByStarlight Friend
Hi Mike,

I ran into similar "how to set up eclipse" questions and found this *very* helpful page from the Joomla developer site.

Obviously, if not using joomla, some sections of it won't necessarily apply. But most of the steps on the page are generic regardless of what development you end up doing - since mainly we just want Eclipse to talk nicely with the browser/apache/XDebug, etc.

The author's goal is to help the developer community for the joomla codebase itself - and they "generally" use Eclipse (or NetBeans) so the explanation is detailed, accurate, and fairly current.

The author split most of the more Joomla-specific content off to a separate webpage so the link below is very generic (only a couple Joomla specific items you can skip).

Anyway, here's the link.
docs.joomla.org/Setting_up_your_workstation_for_Joomla!_development

Maybe also check out the following webpage too although it's not quite as thorough:
unitstep.net/blog/2009/01/26/getting-xdebug-to-work-with-apachexampp-to-debug-php/
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #674971 is a reply to message #674824] Sun, 29 May 2011 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sneakyimp Mising name is currently offline sneakyimp Mising nameFriend
It's been awhile since I set up Eclipse to debug my PHP scripts but I do remember considerable difficulty which was resolved by settings in my PHP.ini file -- things like setting XDebug preferences and making sure the XDebug support existed in PHP.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any sure-fire checks or testing you can do to get things rolling.

I have attached the document I used -- I stored it on my desktop because I knew I might have to do this again.

Hope this helps.
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #674973 is a reply to message #674971] Sun, 29 May 2011 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sneakyimp Mising name is currently offline sneakyimp Mising nameFriend
oh -- and setting up Eclipse PDT with debugging support has been amazingly helpful. The single biggest advantage of the Eclipse setup is that when you import a PHP project into Eclipse, PDT is aware of the PHP context to an extent and can give you parameter hints, mouseover information, and you can look up the definition of a function, class, variable, etc. just by hitting the F3 key. This code cross-referencing is amazingly helpful--ESPECIALLY if you bother writing Javadoc-style comments. The fact that Eclipse is aware of the context of your code (it sniffs out errors and stuff) has really improved my productivity and coding accuracy.

The debugging can also be quite helpful once you get it running. For normal easy coding, it doesn't help that much. When you run into a really tough bug in some complicated code, it's very very helpful to determine why your code is screwing up.

Also of note: I'm running Ubuntu 64-bit so PHP and Apache and MySQL run more or less exactly as they do on a LAMP server.
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #869702 is a reply to message #667923] Thu, 03 May 2012 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT Missing name is currently offline GT Missing nameFriend
I am in the same boat. Mike, how did you solve this issue? I need SSL enabled on my win 7 64 bit as well.

Thanks.
Re: AAArghhh! windows 64 bit PDT/Java/Eclipse/xdebug [message #870208 is a reply to message #667923] Mon, 07 May 2012 09:39 Go to previous message
srinivasa rao mysore is currently offline srinivasa rao mysoreFriend
earlier, i also faced the same issue.modifying the following line in php.ini

output_buffering = 0

solved the issue for me.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2012 10:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to run form?
Next Topic:Setting up XDebug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:34:27 GMT 2024