Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Forcing a plug-in to start
Forcing a plug-in to start [message #667337] Thu, 28 April 2011 08:35 Go to next message
Cedric Moonen is currently offline Cedric MoonenFriend
Hello,

I developped an RCP application (with a product definition) with Eclipse Galileo and everything worked fine.
I now updated to Helios and the way plug-ins are started has apparently changed. Now, my different plug-ins do not start automatically anymore.

Some of my plug-ins are started correctly because they are set to lazy start ("Activate this plug-in when one of its classes is loaded" is checked) and some other plug-in will use one of the classes of this plug-in.
But there is one plug-in that is not started anymore (because no other plug-in loads one of its classes). I disabled the auto-start but it doesn't fix the problem: my bundle is still in the "Resolved" state. This plug-in doesn't add contribution to the UI (so it doesn't have a plugin.xml file), if that makes a difference.

Is there a way I can force a plug-in to start ?
What is the difference between Ganymede and Helios on the startup sequence ?

Thank you
Re: Forcing a plug-in to start [message #667345 is a reply to message #667337] Thu, 28 April 2011 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot to say that my default auto-start is set to true and the "Auto-start" for all my plug-ins is set to default.

Anyway, I "fixed" the problem but I don't understand why it now works: what I did is simply remove the optional dependencies (unchecked the "Include optional dependencies when computing required plug-ins" and rebuilt the list of plug-ins). So, there is one optional plug-in that doesn't something preventing my plug-ins to start automatically.

I really checked that my plug-in didn't start by puttin a breakpoint at the beginning of the Activator (in case an exception was thrown in the start method) but the breakpoint is not reached.

Do you have any clue what's happening here ?
Re: Forcing a plug-in to start [message #667354 is a reply to message #667337] Thu, 28 April 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After some investigation, I found that the plug-in causing troubles is org.eclipse.update.configurator.
When this plug-in is removed from the list, then all my plug-ins are started correctly.
Re: Forcing a plug-in to start [message #667387 is a reply to message #667354] Thu, 28 April 2011 13:19 Go to previous message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
Are you also using org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator? I think the issue is that old updateconfigurator does not handle the PDE settings for auto starting the bundles as specified in the launch configuration. You probably should open a bug against PDE->UI to investigate more.
Previous Topic:How do I consume a DS? (Take 2)
Next Topic:ConfigurationAdmin not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:06:45 GMT 2024