Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo + Maven Development Tutorial?
Virgo + Maven Development Tutorial? [message #666817] Fri, 22 April 2011 18:49 Go to next message
Terrence M Drozdowski is currently offline Terrence M DrozdowskiFriend
Taking a deep dive into Virgo 3.0.0.M03 via STS 2.6 and the tooling there. While it seems the tooling works well for development within Eclipse, the projects I am thinking to migrate, and my development process itself are Maven based. I found the Greenpages example application, and that shows the finished product, but was curious if there was a tutorial somewhere that would describe the process for setting it up, how Maven dependencies translate to bundle dependencies, etc. I've seached high and low on Google, but Eclipse Virgo Maven doesn't return many useful results.

Anyone have any suggestions outside of spending time breaking apart the Greenpages example?
Re: Virgo + Maven Development Tutorial? [message #666848 is a reply to message #666817] Sat, 23 April 2011 09:12 Go to previous message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

Maven dependencies are translated to manifest entries by tools like BND and Bundlor. They work on .class/bytecode level, so the build system does not really matter.

The oposite direction (manifest to maven dependencies) is covered by Tycho.

It's up to you to chose what you will use, but for small projects I perfonally prefer Bundlor/BND approach. Tycho is usually used in enterprise style build environments with lots of P2 update sites.

Btw Dmitry extended the Greenpages so you may want to take a look at his work:
https://github.com/dsklyut/virgo-samples-greenpages

I'm afraid that we don't have detailed description on setting up the build environment (other than these two resources mentioned in the thread), but since it seems you are going to set this up anyway you may want to contribute the steps or even add them to the guide Smile
Previous Topic:Virgo 2.1.1 available
Next Topic:Slow JSP compilation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:49:08 GMT 2024