Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Dm-server vs Virgo(memory utilization)
Dm-server vs Virgo [message #666773] Fri, 22 April 2011 12:33 Go to next message
Ferdinand Mising name is currently offline Ferdinand Mising nameFriend
Hi everyone,

I yust got a graph from our customers with the memory utilization.

They just upgraded dm-server(2.0.3-release) to virgo(2.1.0-release) and it seams that there is difference between the memory utilization of dm-server and virgo.
Running dm-server results in a pretty stable memory utilization. But after the upgrade the memory utilization is with more up and downs.

Also it seems that the memory utilization is going slowly upwards. Memory-leakage is going throug my mind. But at this point i cannot hard-point that. More input values can cause this.

Both uses the same gc(ConcMarkSweep / -server).

Can somebody explain the difference in memory usage between dm-server and virgo?

Greetings, Ferdinand

Re: Dm-server vs Virgo [message #666803 is a reply to message #666773] Fri, 22 April 2011 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

Can you please produce a heap dump with Eclipse Memory Analyzer? That will help to determine possible leaks or just the biggest allocated objects.
Re: Dm-server vs Virgo [message #667160 is a reply to message #666803] Wed, 27 April 2011 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ferdinand Mising name is currently offline Ferdinand Mising nameFriend
Making a heapdump is indeed a possibility, but that is on step to fast for me. Also i don't want to do that on customers production site on this moment. However I will monitoring this for a while, so i can conclude that there is indead memory-leakage and will then look more closely what is cause of the leakage on one of our test-machines.

I was just wondering in global perspective if more people experience differences. And maybe it is a known fact that virgo's memory consumption is different according to dm-server.

Also non-stabilized memory consumption could be a good thing Very Happy.
Re: Dm-server vs Virgo [message #667418 is a reply to message #667160] Thu, 28 April 2011 15:22 Go to previous message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

I'm not aware of any memory leaks in Virgo. There were changes in both the code and some libraries, so it's possible Virgo to have different memory utilization.

If you suspect a memory leak it is worth to periodically take a snapshot of the objects in the heap via some profiler. That's however usually done on test/development system.

The heapdump is OK for a productive system since it will take only 5-6 seconds, and the data can be analyzed offline. Be warned that the heapdump contains all the data in the heap (as one would expect), including a possibly sensitive data (user names, passwords if they are kept in memory and so on).

It's also worth checking if there were any full GCs. If not perhaps the memory has not been freed yet.

Please share any findings on the forum, so this can be of help to other users as well Smile
Previous Topic:Problem configuring a new logger in Serviceability.xml
Next Topic:[Solved]Load Class from Workspace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:05:20 GMT 2024