Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » merge flags all files as modified
merge flags all files as modified [message #666110] Tue, 19 April 2011 07:39 Go to next message
Maxime Jeanmart is currently offline Maxime JeanmartFriend
Hi all,

I wonder if this is a normal behaviour. Each time I merge 2 branches (either from same repo or from origin), I have all my files flagged as changed and must commit them all.

Is it really the way it should work? It's hard after that to verify if the merge was correctly done because we don't have a way to quickly see what changed.

Max
Re: merge flags all files as modified [message #666129 is a reply to message #666110] Tue, 19 April 2011 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
No, that is of course not the normal behaviour. If the automatic merge is succesfull no file should be marked as modified (there is nothing to commit anymore). If the automatic merge is not succesfull all files touch by the merge should be marked as modified. At least my EGit behaves like that and I cannot reproduce the problem - so there must be something strange with your repo/egit. Can you specify exactly a way how to reproduce this with an openly available repo? E.g. "when I clone repo git://github..../xyz.git and then I merge branch master into test then all files are marked as modified". Ideally you create a bug at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

Re: merge flags all files as modified [message #666141 is a reply to message #666129] Tue, 19 April 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have access to github inside the company. However, I could reproduce the problem with a brand new repository.
Here are my steps:
1.Created the repository using "git extensions"
2. creates a Java project in repository
3. share the project
4. add 3 classes: A, B, C
5. create "work" branch, checkout
6. edit A, commit
7. checkout master
8. edit B, commit
9. checkout "work"
10. edit A, commit
11. checkout master
12. merge with "work"

now all files are marked "Mod., not staged", including C.java, .classpath and .project.

eGit + jGit versions = 0.11.3

Can you reproduce it?

I created Bug 343253

Max
Re: merge flags all files as modified [message #666436 is a reply to message #666141] Wed, 20 April 2011 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Why don't you create the repository using EGit ?
Re: merge flags all files as modified [message #666581 is a reply to message #666436] Thu, 21 April 2011 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right, it doesn't happen with a repository created using egit.

Is eGit only supposed to work correctly with repositories it created ? It think that git extension relies on the reference git libraries but I'm not sure.

Re: merge flags all files as modified [message #667849 is a reply to message #666581] Mon, 02 May 2011 12:53 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
EGit is definitively supposed to be interoperable with native git.
I don't use gitextensions so I don't know if it brings some problems into this game.

Maybe gitextensions sees some different configuration for
core.fileMode, core.ignorecase, core.eol, core.safecrlf, core.autocrlf [1]. Or your two branches only differ in line endings ? How do these changes you have to commit look like (double click on files in the file list of the commit dialog to open a diff view) ?

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.h tml
Previous Topic:Problem in adding Pramati as Eclipse Server
Next Topic:Workflow for creating projects with remote support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:09:38 GMT 2024