Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Pushing to gitorious(Egit asking for password for account 'git')
Pushing to gitorious [message #665261] Wed, 13 April 2011 22:13 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I'm having trouble pushing to gitorious using egit. I've read through many threads here on this forum as well as on the gitorious group over the past week and none of the solutions presented solve my issue. Sad
I've been able to clone fine (as long as I push some junk text file into the repo first to prevent the empty repository null bug), and commits seem to work, it's just pushing that fails.
These are the settings I've been trying:
Quote:
URI: ssh://git@<hostname>/<projectname>/<repositoryname>.git
Host: <hostname>
Repository path: <projectname>/<repositoryname>.git

I've been able to push with tortoisegit using the url exactly as provided by gitorious:
Quote:
git@<hostname>:<projectname>/<repositoryname>.git

The problem I'm facing is it always asks for a password for the user "git" where it should just be using ssh. Tortoisegit never asks for a password for git unless I forget to configure pageant. If I do supply it the account git's password (which I'm not comfortable handing out to my users anyway), it returns the follow error:
Quote:
ssh://git@<hostname>/<project>/<repo>.git: unable to chdir or not a git archive

It returns this error regardless of whether I use a colon or slash to separate the hostname from the projectname.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2011 22:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pushing to gitorious [message #665292 is a reply to message #665261] Thu, 14 April 2011 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Do you use user/password or public ssh key for authentication over ssh ? If you use the latter, make sure that Eclipse looks for the ssh keys in the right place, check that the field "SSH2 Home" on the "General" tab of "Preferences > General > Network Connections > SSH2" points to the right folder containing the ssh keys you intend to use.
Re: Pushing to gitorious [message #665294 is a reply to message #665292] Thu, 14 April 2011 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the quick response!

I use an ssh key. I've pointed eclipse to the correct ssh home location but the issue still occurs.

I've been doing some more research in bugzilla and came across bugs 179924 and 84281. According to some of the comments on the second bug, my key (being created in putty) is encrypted by AES and Eclipse just doesn't support it. And the first bug indicates that there is currently no support in Eclipse for ssh-agents (like pageant).

I'm going to try generating a new key via Eclipse instead when I get back to the office. Hopefully the solution is this simple.
Re: Pushing to gitorious [message #665487 is a reply to message #665261] Thu, 14 April 2011 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the benefit of others that might find this topic in the future, the problem was indeed related to me using the SSH key generated by putty as opposed to the key generated using eclipse. I now use two SSH keys (one to push from tortoisegit if I ever want to push outside of eclipse, and one to push from inside eclipse using egit).
Re: Pushing to gitorious [message #665515 is a reply to message #665487] Thu, 14 April 2011 21:09 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
If you are using a recent EGit version you may also follow [1] to use an external SSH implementation which supports AES. Also see [2].

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=326526
[2] http://protodave.com/tips/eclipse-egit-github-jsch-and-aes-1 28-encrypted-private-keys/
Previous Topic:Programatic Merge File Access
Next Topic:Synchonize window improvement requests
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:38:27 GMT 2024