Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Getting Virgo source
Getting Virgo source [message #664952] Tue, 12 April 2011 15:08 Go to next message
Joel Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Joel Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Glyn,

I am starting to work on the documentation fixes. The first hurdle I have is getting the source into Eclipse. EGit fails with the following
when I access it from git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.docume ntation.git
Cloning from git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.docume ntation.git has encountered a problem.
Missing unknown 9ada5de967ea8805e7c8142d3647d0500100fa5a 

Using git from the command line with the uri works fine, but it us going to be awkward working outside the ide both making changes and creating a patch. Then I suppose git may have its own way of creating patches, but I have never used git for more than pulling down source I wanted,

Is this something your are aware of or should I contact the EGit team for assistance?

Joel

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2011 15:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Getting Virgo source [message #664957 is a reply to message #664952] Tue, 12 April 2011 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The screenshot got corrupted, as do most plain files attached to these forums. Unfortunately it's deadly for binary files. Sad

You can usually import existing git projects into Eclipse and then use egit from then on, but it's hardly worth it for documentation.

Just make your edits, commit them to your local git, and then use git diff to create a patch.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could push your changes to github and I could pull them from there, but you might waste time learning how to do that which would be a waste unless you are interested or need to know. (As a budding Virgo contributor, of course you need to know. Wink )

Oh, don't forget to checkout the 2.1.x branch before making your changes for 2.1.x. Then checkout master to make the same changes on the 3.0 line. You can use git cherry-pick to copy the commit across, although it will probably delta clash and you'll need to fix up the mess, so you might prefer to make the changes twice.
Re: Getting Virgo source [message #664963 is a reply to message #664957] Tue, 12 April 2011 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Joel Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Great will do
Re: Getting Virgo source [message #664965 is a reply to message #664963] Tue, 12 April 2011 15:40 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Thanks Joel. When you have some doc patches ready, please attach them to a suitable bug (I forget if you already raised one).
Previous Topic:Virgo + Spring + ASPECTJ (load time weaving)
Next Topic:Apache Tomcat Context Configuration docBase Attribute
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:40:47 GMT 2024