Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle
Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #664694] Mon, 11 April 2011 15:48 Go to next message
Frieder Heugel is currently offline Frieder HeugelFriend
Hi guys,

I tried to install the Vaadin bundle in Virgo but got lots of BundleManifestParseExceptions because of a space after each comma in the Export-Package header. Judging on the OSGi core specification (3.5.5) it looks like there is no space allowed after the comma. However Equinox is accepting this manifest w/o any complaints and Vaadin is working properly. Another thing that I recognized is that the vaadin bundle is exporting some package that start with a number (16,32,64 for image ressources). Again Virgo is complaining while Equinox is accepting this. I understand that a Java package is not allowed to start with an arabic number but I'm wondering why Equinox and Virgo are behaving quite different in this matter.

At the moment I'm not sure where to file a bug report (Equinox/Vaadin or Virgo). Any advice?

Regards
Frieder
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #664701 is a reply to message #664694] Mon, 11 April 2011 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Borislav Kapukaranov is currently offline Borislav KapukaranovFriend
Hi Frieder,

Virgo has its own manifest header parser that is compliant with the OSGi core specification(4.3), as you observed.
It seems Equinox's parser is slightly different.

I would recommend raising a bug against Vaadin and one against Equinox to check if they have any special use-cases that need this additional parser functionality.

Best Regards
Borislav
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #664717 is a reply to message #664701] Mon, 11 April 2011 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
In the R4.2 core specification: end of section 1.3.2 General Syntax
Definitions:

<spec>
Whitespaces between terminals are ignored unless specifically noted. Any
value that contains a space, a comma, semi-colon, colon, equal sign or any
other character that is part of a terminal in the grammar must be quoted.
</spec>

It sounds like the virgo parser is being way to strict in this regard.
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #664762 is a reply to message #664717] Mon, 11 April 2011 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True, it seems that way - here's the bug i raised (342491)

And what about the number-starting packages?
<spec>
package-name ::= unique-name
unique-name ::= identifier ( '.' identifier )*
identifier ::= jletter jletterordigit *
</spec>

I understand the result of the install is not covered strictly by the spec but it seems wrong to me to allow installation of something that is not compliant with it...

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2011 21:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #664803 is a reply to message #664762] Tue, 12 April 2011 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

thank you both for the clarification in this regard.

@Borislav

Regarding the number-starting packages you can find Thomas response here.
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #668671 is a reply to message #664803] Fri, 06 May 2011 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
Another piece is that vaadin-6.4.9 has a manifest which does contain spaces in the Export-Package header (but no number-starting packages), but its installed fine!
Both into Virgo 2.1 as well as 3.0M4!

regards,
Gabor
  • Attachment: MANIFEST.MF
    (Size: 5.10KB, Downloaded 179 times)
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #668760 is a reply to message #668671] Sat, 07 May 2011 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed Virgo fails only on the number starting packages.
The spaces produce a warning but the installation is not aborted. These warnings are visible only when there is really an error in the manifest - a number starting package name in this case.

The specification doesn't say to fail on a number starting package so i guess its up to the framework to each parser to decide what to do - but in the end that manifest is truly *not* OSGi compliant.

I think a bug against vaadin for the number-starting package names should be reported.

In the mean time i've updated the bug opened for this issue and will reuse it for the number-starting packages.
Maybe its better if we align with the Equinox behaviour here and not fail the installation but still produce warning about the number-starting packages.

Best Regards
Borislav
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #668761 is a reply to message #668671] Sat, 07 May 2011 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed Virgo fails only on the number starting packages.
The spaces produce a warning but the installation is not aborted. These warnings are visible only when there is really an error in the manifest - a number starting package name in this case.

The specification doesn't say to fail on a number starting package so i guess its up to the framework to each parser to decide what to do - but in the end that manifest is truly *not* OSGi compliant.

I think a bug against vaadin for the number-starting package names should be reported.

In the mean time i've updated the bug opened for this issue.
Maybe its better if we align with the Equinox behaviour here and not fail the installation but still produce warning about the number-starting packages.

Here's the new bug that will cover this:bug345048

Best Regards
Borislav

[Updated on: Sat, 07 May 2011 05:54]

Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #668804 is a reply to message #668761] Sat, 07 May 2011 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Borislav and Gabor for the hint. I filed a bug report against Vaadin (6945).
Re: Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle [message #668805 is a reply to message #668761] Sat, 07 May 2011 15:45 Go to previous message
Double post, sorry.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2011 08:17]

Previous Topic:Snap Context Path from JSP
Next Topic:EBR is getting woefully out of date
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:45:37 GMT 2024