Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't launch gdb("gdb --version" fails)
Can't launch gdb [message #664213] Thu, 07 April 2011 20:39 Go to next message
Daryl Lee is currently offline Daryl LeeFriend
I'm evaluating the possibility of replacing Visual Studio with Eclipse and part of the evaluation is debugging. I just installed Eclipse for C/C++ Developers (Helios) and Wascana MingW. I created the Eclipse "Hello World" project and set a breakpoint at the output statement. The project built and ran error-free, but when I selected "Debug", I got an error the the effect that "gdb --version" returned an error. I cannot find any option to tell Eclipse where to find GDB. I'm running Win7-64, with 64-bit Java. Where do I go from here? ("Back to Visual Studio" is NOT a preferred answer. Smile )

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2011 20:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't launch gdb [message #664227 is a reply to message #664213] Thu, 07 April 2011 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Go to Run->Debug Configurations...
This will show you the different debug launches that exist and give you the ability to create new ones. Choose the one for the project your trying to debug and go to the Debugger tab. You can specify the location of GDB in there.

The best way though would be to add the location of GDB to your PATH variable.

Marc
Re: Can't launch gdb [message #664249 is a reply to message #664227] Fri, 08 April 2011 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daryl Lee is currently offline Daryl LeeFriend
Thanks. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the Msys "which" command, which found the debugger. But your suggestion made me remember that Msys has path components that are not in Windows itself. Your suggestion fixed things nicely.
Re: Can't launch gdb [message #1750894 is a reply to message #664213] Sat, 31 December 2016 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chen tal is currently offline chen talFriend
HI,
while im trying to debugging my project , i bump into the same problem , as described up , i tried to follow after your instructions ,but unfortunately
without success,
do you have an another idea thet might help also?

thanks alot.
Re: Can't launch gdb [message #1751142 is a reply to message #1750894] Wed, 04 January 2017 22:06 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
HI chen tal,

Please start a new thread and describe the problem you have, specifically what error you get.

Jonah
Previous Topic:Arduino ESP8266 WIFI Classes not found-resolved with workaround
Next Topic:How do I adapt this info to my system so I can get this setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:58:55 GMT 2024