Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Cached repository meta-data
Cached repository meta-data [message #664211] Thu, 07 April 2011 20:28 Go to next message
Terran Gilman is currently offline Terran GilmanFriend
I have created a local p2 repository for all the pesky bundles that are not published by the vendor/author. I recently updated the repository with a few additional bundles. The main rmap file used for my builds includes this repository and has worked well so far.

However, after updating the repository, the new bundles would not resolve or materialize until I restarted the IDE. I tried using the "Clear URL cache" and the "Refresh Meta-data" troubleshooting buttons in the buckminster preferences panel.

Is there a way to disable the caching of this information or to explicitly clear it out?
Re: Cached repository meta-data [message #664234 is a reply to message #664211] Thu, 07 April 2011 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Sounds like this is p2 doing some caching - There is a "Reload" under
Preferences > Install/Update > Available Update sites. See if that has
any effect.

Do you by any chance have a TP that refers to this p2 repository? The TP
management logic seems easy to upset and I find I have to restart
Eclipse from time to time when having fiddled with TP definitions.

Regards
- henrik

On 4/7/11 10:28 PM, Trip Gilman wrote:
> I have created a local p2 repository for all the pesky bundles that are
> not published by the vendor/author. I recently updated the repository
> with a few additional bundles. The main rmap file used for my builds
> includes this repository and has worked well so far.
>
> However, after updating the repository, the new bundles would not
> resolve or materialize until I restarted the IDE. I tried using the
> "Clear URL cache" and the "Refresh Meta-data" troubleshooting buttons in
> the buckminster preferences panel.
>
> Is there a way to disable the caching of this information or to
> explicitly clear it out?
Re: Cached repository meta-data [message #664301 is a reply to message #664234] Fri, 08 April 2011 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 2011-04-08 01:11, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
> Sounds like this is p2 doing some caching - There is a "Reload" under Preferences > Install/Update > Available Update
> sites. See if that has any effect.

We might need to add something like that under the Buckminster preferences as well since we use another p2 agent and
profile than the installer. Feel free to enter a bugzilla about that.

At present, the only way to clear Buckminsters p2 cache is to remove the directory:

<workspace home> /.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.buckminster.core/p2.resolver

Do NOT remove it while your IDE is running.

HTH,
Thomas Hallgren

>
> Do you by any chance have a TP that refers to this p2 repository? The TP management logic seems easy to upset and I find
> I have to restart Eclipse from time to time when having fiddled with TP definitions.
>
> Regards
> - henrik
>
> On 4/7/11 10:28 PM, Trip Gilman wrote:
>> I have created a local p2 repository for all the pesky bundles that are
>> not published by the vendor/author. I recently updated the repository
>> with a few additional bundles. The main rmap file used for my builds
>> includes this repository and has worked well so far.
>>
>> However, after updating the repository, the new bundles would not
>> resolve or materialize until I restarted the IDE. I tried using the
>> "Clear URL cache" and the "Refresh Meta-data" troubleshooting buttons in
>> the buckminster preferences panel.
>>
>> Is there a way to disable the caching of this information or to
>> explicitly clear it out?
>
Re: Cached repository meta-data [message #664421 is a reply to message #664301] Fri, 08 April 2011 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked and that repository is not registered with the underlying IDE profile. It's probably just the p2 libraries caching things. We do some custom p2 work in one of our components and I think we've seen the same sort of thing too. It's not a big deal to restart the IDE, just thought you guys should know.

I've opened the enhancement request here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=342324
Re: Cached repository meta-data [message #664538 is a reply to message #664211] Mon, 11 April 2011 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, is there a proper way to remove a bundle from the in workspace target platform location? We occasionally remove a dependency or two from the system. I've tried just deleting it from the project and reloading the TP. That seems to set the PDE straight. However, buckminster seems to look at the contents of the artifacts.xml file in the TP project.

Is there an easy way to cause this file to be regenerated? Editing it by hand seems to work after the IDE is restarted. Removing the file causes some problems since during the next materialize operation, the entire project is re-downloaded and bound again, even if the bundle file is there.
Re: Cached repository meta-data [message #664559 is a reply to message #664538] Mon, 11 April 2011 07:09 Go to previous message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 2011-04-11 05:49, Trip Gilman wrote:
> Also, is there a proper way to remove a bundle from the in workspace target platform location? We occasionally remove a
> dependency or two from the system. I've tried just deleting it from the project and reloading the TP. That seems to set
> the PDE straight. However, buckminster seems to look at the contents of the artifacts.xml file in the TP project.
>
Try "Preferences" -> "Plug-in Development" -> "Target Platform" and click on the "Reload" button.

This is an important step after any manipulation of the target platform. A restart isn't enough but some times that's
needed too.

> Is there an easy way to cause this file to be regenerated? Editing it by hand seems to work after the IDE is restarted.
> Removing the file causes some problems since during the next materialize operation, the entire project is re-downloaded
> and bound again, even if the bundle file is there.

This is the p2 artifact repository so removing it will confuse p2. It will no longer sense that the artifact is present.

I sometimes edit this file by hand when I remove some bundles. The thing to remember when you do that is to adjust the
'size' attribute in the top <artifacts size="nnn"> accordingly.

HTH,
Thomas Hallgren
Previous Topic:Builds vs. Repository Creation
Next Topic:The application will not start after update...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:30:18 GMT 2024