Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » EBR is getting woefully out of date
EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #663585] Tue, 05 April 2011 17:29 Go to next message
Joel Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Joel Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Hi,

I know that this question does not exactly belong here, but I do not have a better idea of where I might ask it *and* get an answer Wink If there is a better place please let me know.

I am using STS with Virgo. For a long time I have depended on Enterprise Bundle Repository for my modules, but more and more I find that it is not being kept up to date. Not a show stopper as there are other repositories for most of what I need, but it is a real shame as it was the best out there for a long time. So I have two questions.

First, I STS has a Bundle Repository Browser which is tied to EBR. Is there a way to make it look at other repositories?

Second is more profound. Is Spring going to maintain EBR or is it bound to fade away. I am aware that Rod Johnson during his key notes speech said that OSGi was his worse mistake in 8 years. Does this translate into Spring abandoning all/most of its OSGi efforts. Again a real shame if that is the case.

All the best,
Joel
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #663599 is a reply to message #663585] Tue, 05 April 2011 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod Johnson is currently offline Rod JohnsonFriend
Joel

I'd like to clarify what I said in my QCon keynote. I was talking about SpringSource's business, rather than technology strategy, and my point was that we over-invested in dm Server relative to other initiatives. I said I continue to think that OSGi is a good technology for solving hard modularity problems, but has an applicability to a smaller niche than we had thought, meaning that dm Server's addressable market was smaller than we'd hoped.

Rgds
Rod
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #663600 is a reply to message #663585] Tue, 05 April 2011 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
It seems a reasonable requirement to support repositories other than the EBR. Now that the Virgo tooling has transferred to Eclipse, why not raise an enhancement bug against Virgo to capture this?
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #663601 is a reply to message #663599] Tue, 05 April 2011 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rod,

Thank you very much for jumping in and clarifying. I believe that much has been read into and assumed by what was quoted from the conference. My wife was there and she came home down the night of your keynote. She has spearheaded a project at her company based on Virgo and DM and the last thing she needed to hear was that SpringSource was pulling back in its commitments. What helped her sell the project (the first OSGi project at the company) was that SpringSource backed the technology. Her company has built its Enterprise architecture around Spring for many years now.

I note that your comment here is guarded however. I am pleased the you still feel that OSGi is a useful technology, but to what extent, if any, will SpringSource participate in the technology. This is not the place for SpringSource to set forth a clear strategy statement about where it stands in the OSGi arena, but I feel strongly that the responsible thing would be for SpringSource to do so soon. FUD is a brutal weapon in our industry. I am sure that most players would prefer to know that SpringSource is abandoning its support totally than to be nervously waiting.

While I have, please let me thank you for all that you and SpringSource have done for the industry, not limited to OSGi but for me especially for OSGi.

All the best,
Joel
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #663602 is a reply to message #663600] Tue, 05 April 2011 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Glyn, will do.
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #663891 is a reply to message #663585] Wed, 06 April 2011 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Jain is currently offline Eric JainFriend
Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote on Tue, 05 April 2011 13:29
Is Spring going to maintain EBR or is it bound to fade away.

I sure wish SpringSource was a bit more forthcoming about which projects they intend to continue to support and which not. This would save everyone's time and be less detrimental to their brand.

To be fair, other organizations are just as bad. Look e.g. at all the projects on eclipse.org that appear to be in limbo, with no obvious way to determine whether they are dead or just "resting".
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #665138 is a reply to message #663585] Wed, 13 April 2011 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote on Tue, 05 April 2011 18:29
First, I STS has a Bundle Repository Browser which is tied to EBR. Is there a way to make it look at other repositories?

What other repositories were you thinking of?
Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #665411 is a reply to message #665138] Thu, 14 April 2011 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Therein lies the rub. Sad As far as I know there are not really any good options to replace EBR. What I have is

OSGi Alliance
Felix
Knopflerfish
Eclipse Orbit
OPS4J

Put them all together in a syndicate and we are still far from the desired results.

Do you have any to add to the list?

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2011 14:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EBR is getting woefully out of date [message #669202 is a reply to message #665411] Mon, 09 May 2011 13:05 Go to previous message
We are now taking the approach of opening up the SpringSource Enterprise Bundle Repository to the community. As a baby-step in this direction, I have put the build code and some example bundles on github. More details in this blog.
Previous Topic:Different manifest parsing behaviour between Virgo and Equinox regarding the Vaadin bundle
Next Topic:virgo 2.1, snaps and tiles 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:55:57 GMT 2024