Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around?(Updated Q: Is it reasonable/possible to remove compile from the build process?)
How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around? [message #662510] Wed, 30 March 2011 21:10 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
I am working maintenance on a project with a large existing code base. We use tools outside of Eclipse to build and launch the application, and set up a project inside Eclipse with all the built JARs, source, classfiles, etc, linked in the project.

I essentially want to use Eclipse as an intelligent code browser/editor. I absolutely NEVER want it to build anything. I only want it to touch files that I am explicitly editing. I am having an incredibly hard time getting Eclipse to work like this.

I have auto-build disabled, and unchecked the box for "Build (if required) before launching" (I was getting builds when launching the debugger... connecting the debugger to a built and running program when you have your project configured correctly does not require a build despite what Eclipse may think).

Most recently, I went into preferences to add a new task tag. I had been using the word REMOVE in comments to mark methods I wanted to consider for removal, and I assumed adding it as a task tag (since it was in the company of XXX, TODO and FIXME) was the way to get the editor to highlight it on the scrollbar. When I added this, I clicked okay, and Eclipse told me it required a full re-build.

Now, assuming the task tags are actually what I thought, I do not understand why Eclipse demands I build my project in order to highlight comments in source files.

Separate from that, I clicked no on the dialog. What happened? Eclipse started building with the cancel button grayed out.

I don't understand why these builds are 1) 'required', or 2) occurring even when I told them not to.

Isn't there some way to just stop Eclipse from ever trying to build anything? If the project is built outside of Eclipse and everything is properly linked, I don't want Eclipse touching any part of my project except for the single source file I am editing.

I cannot seem to find any other options related to not building. Searching for this has proven very difficult. I can't figure out what to search for that doesn't turn up results on build problems rather than blocking building completely.

Does anyone know of a way to get this behavior out of Eclipse without going out of my way to enforce it at every single turn?

Is there somewhere else I should be asking this question?

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2011 18:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around? [message #662540 is a reply to message #662510] Thu, 31 March 2011 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On 3/30/2011 5:10 PM, mattbaron0@gmail.com wrote:
> Most recently, I went into preferences to add a new task tag. I had been
> using the word REMOVE in comments to mark methods I wanted to consider
> for removal, and I assumed adding it as a task tag (since it was in the
> company of XXX, TODO and FIXME) was the way to get the editor to
> highlight it on the scrollbar. When I added this, I clicked okay, and
> Eclipse told me it required a full re-build.
>
> Now, assuming the task tags are actually what I thought, I do not
> understand why Eclipse demands I build my project in order to highlight
> comments in source files.

I'm not sure about the UI difficulties you go into further down, but at
least for Java and JavaScript, detecting task tags is a feature built
into the compiler/builder. The editors can probably still show them to
you, but if you want them in the Tasks view, you will probably need to
build at some point.

Some languages like XML and HTML don't require rebuilding, but only
because their support is not implemented using a builder.

--
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing and JSDT
IBM Rational

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around? [message #662724 is a reply to message #662510] Thu, 31 March 2011 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 3/30/11 5:10 PM, mattbaron0@gmail.com wrote:
> I am working maintenance on a project with a large existing code base.
> We use tools outside of Eclipse to build and launch the application, and
> set up a project inside Eclipse with all the built JARs, source,
> classfiles, etc, linked in the project.
>
> I essentially want to use Eclipse as an intelligent code browser/editor.
> I absolutely NEVER want it to build anything. I only want it to touch
> files that I am explicitly editing. I am having an incredibly hard time
> getting Eclipse to work like this.
>
> I have auto-build disabled, and unchecked the box for "Build (if
> required) before launching" (I was getting builds when launching the
> debugger... connecting the debugger to a built and running program when
> you have your project configured correctly does not require a build
> despite what Eclipse may think).
>
> Most recently, I went into preferences to add a new task tag. I had been
> using the word REMOVE in comments to mark methods I wanted to consider
> for removal, and I assumed adding it as a task tag (since it was in the
> company of XXX, TODO and FIXME) was the way to get the editor to
> highlight it on the scrollbar. When I added this, I clicked okay, and
> Eclipse told me it required a full re-build.
>
> Now, assuming the task tags are actually what I thought, I do not
> understand why Eclipse demands I build my project in order to highlight
> comments in source files.
>
> Separate from that, I clicked no on the dialog. What happened? Eclipse
> started building with the cancel button grayed out.
>
> I don't understand why these builds are 1) 'required', or 2) occurring
> even when I told them not to.
>
> Isn't there some way to just stop Eclipse from ever trying to build
> anything? If the project is built outside of Eclipse and everything is
> properly linked, I don't want Eclipse touching any part of my project
> except for the single source file I am editing.
>
> I cannot seem to find any other options related to not building.
> Searching for this has proven very difficult. I can't figure out what to
> search for that doesn't turn up results on build problems rather than
> blocking building completely.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to get this behavior out of Eclipse without
> going out of my way to enforce it at every single turn?
>
> Is there somewhere else I should be asking this question?

First things first: keep in mind that in Eclipse, build != compile
What I mean is that building is a process that can involve any number of
steps, one of which can be compiling. Task Tags are an example of a
non-compile build step; there are potentially many others.
Having said that... Turing off Build Automatically should definitely
stop Eclipse from building whenever you save a file that's in a source
directory. But there are other things that can trigger builds, such as
the one you've run into, changing certain project or workspace settings
(Task Tags, for example).
If you can produce a relatively small project that demonstrates building
with auto-build disabled, then please post it here and we'll be able to
either explain it or file it as a bug.

By the way, what kind of project is this configured as? What kinds of
files are you editing when you see it build with auto-build disabled?

Eric
Re: How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around? [message #662741 is a reply to message #662724] Thu, 31 March 2011 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
Eric Rizzo wrote on Thu, 31 March 2011 12:27

First things first: keep in mind that in Eclipse, build != compile
What I mean is that building is a process that can involve any number of steps, one of which can be compiling.

This is a distinction I was technically aware of, but was not really appreciating when considering the problems I was having.

Task Tags are an example of a non-compile build step; there are potentially many others.

Nitin touched on this too. I have my new REMOVE task tag functioning at least as far as syntax highlighting goes, which is all I really wanted. However now the attempt to build at least makes sense.

It seems like Eclipse uses the build process to make a lot of IDE tools work. After being reminded that build != compile, this makes a lot more sense than when I first posted.

For me compiling via Eclipse is time consuming, error prone, and pointless since I don't need the class files Eclipse is generating. I think instead I should have been asking if it is possible to remove compiling from Eclipse's build process.

Is it possible to remove compiling from Eclipse's build process? Would building still make sense to other IDE tools without it?

If you can produce a relatively small project that demonstrates building with auto-build disabled, then please post it here and we'll be able to either explain it or file it as a bug.

The problem I was having wasn't auto-build on saving, but more frustration with being asked to do a full build after changes that seemed like they shouldn't require compiling. Now that I'm reminded of the difference, the behavior is much more understandable, which makes it a lot less frustrating.

The one thing that did appear to be a bug was when I selected 'No' on a dialog asking me if I wanted to rebuild, and it started a full build anyway with the cancel button grayed out. If I can find the free-time, I will see if I can reproduce that on a smaller project.

By the way, what kind of project is this configured as?

I just have it configured as an Eclipse Java project. There are many different resources in the project itself, but the Eclipse
project mostly looks at Java source, and the only files I edit via Eclipse are Java source.

Thank you both for your time,
Matt
Re: How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around? [message #1819391 is a reply to message #662741] Tue, 14 January 2020 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Hitchman is currently offline Dave HitchmanFriend
How the hell can my eclipse have ONE source file yet debug another totally different and much much much older version (I am talking about 50 versions back!!!!!) after I have DELETED the workspace (after eclipse once again corrupted itself). Eclipse is NOT an IDE it is a total opaque disaster. WHERE DOES IT GET THE SOURCE FROM??????? It BUILDS the one I expect (I can put a deliberate compile error and it notices) but it RUNS something else entirely .., what the HELL is it doing???????? How is any one but anyone supposed to use this for anything?????? Frankly I cant even get hello world to work consistently. The whole thing worked at 8am this morning, fucked itself at 8:30 and at 1pm I still cant get the damned thing to work.... WHAT IS GOING ON!
Re: How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around? [message #1819392 is a reply to message #1819391] Tue, 14 January 2020 12:29 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

I'm not sure why that was a reply in this thread, but you haven't given any details to help you figure out what's going on--even which language you're using. Could you give some details?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:jgit errors on new instal
Next Topic:How to add a new Eclipse package to an existing install?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:06:16 GMT 2024