Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Product Branding recent info wanted
Product Branding recent info wanted [message #662005] Mon, 28 March 2011 20:10 Go to next message
Beth Tibbitts is currently offline Beth TibbittsFriend
I want to use product branding (...etc.) to set some icons/images, about, default perspective, etc.

There is a lot of info online but much of it is several years old, so it's hard to tell what is current practice.
Building on Helios. I have several sets of features/plugins (in an aggregated update site directory structure) that I'm assembling via
eclipse -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository file:/path/to/update/site -installIU <list of features> -destination /mydir/eclipse ...

One of the features is a branding feature with its plugin. I have a foo.product file in the plugin project.
I build the branding feature then put it in the aggregated update site.
How do I point the generated eclipse aggregation to the product file? Something about the config.ini?
So do i need to create a config.ini with some info to point to product? by id? by product file?

If there is a write-up that explains this and someone can point me to it, I'd appreciate it.
Most of the info available online is very dated and I'm not sure what's still applicable.
And it's confusing....

Thanks!
...Beth
Re: Product Branding recent info wanted [message #662171 is a reply to message #662005] Tue, 29 March 2011 15:37 Go to previous message
Beth Tibbitts is currently offline Beth TibbittsFriend
Well I figured out some of it.
Helpful resources include:
(1) http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Branding/branding-yo ur-application.html
(2) http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecfe at/index.html
(3) http://pookzilla.net/wp/2006/01/how-can-i-give-my-eclipse-bl ob-icon-in/

The basics are:
1. Make a feature and a plugin with the same ID. e.g. com.myco.myfeat
This is your 'product' feature and the plugin is the 'branding' plugin
2. in the branding plugin, extend extension point org.eclipse.core.runtime.products and add an application..
extension info in (1) above is helpful. The preferenceCustomization property of plugin_customization.ini especially lets you specify e.g. a default perspective, which i needed.
<extension id="prodid" point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.products">
my 'application' is the org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench, I don't have a different one.
3. Now the trick to make it FIND your product feature and thus the branding plugin.
Modify the config.ini that you distribute eclipse/configuration/config.ini
and add
eclipse.product=com.myco.myfeat.prodid

I did NOT find a use for a '.product' file; I think it can be used to BUILD something that I created above.
But it's not used at runtime.
Previous Topic:Eclipse platform problems on Mac OS 10.6.4 and Java 1.6.0_22
Next Topic:Change location of project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:55:11 GMT 2024