Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Background build ... is in the foreground(I cant save files (and other significant operations) while a build is in progress)
Background build ... is in the foreground [message #661774] Sun, 27 March 2011 18:15 Go to next message
David Sackstein is currently offline David SacksteinFriend
I think this is a bug.
Yes, some would say - well, you shouldnt be allowed to perform these operations when a build is in progress.
But I disagree for the following reasons:

1. Files that dont effect the build should be changeable.
2. The behavior that queues up pending requests is an engineer's solution - but not a useable one. I want to do it now. If you dont agree, disable it or tell me what my options are now.
3. I would at least like to get a warning before my command get's queued up.

4. Most important: Allow me to do what I want. If you like, remember that I changed something that might effect the build, and warn me when the build is done - or offer to rebuild.

The overall behavior of the IDE from my point of view is an entirely single tasked application.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

David
Re: Background build ... is in the foreground [message #661808 is a reply to message #661774] Mon, 28 March 2011 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Gvozdev is currently offline Andrew GvozdevFriend
This was fixed for unmanaged build. For managed it is still an issue.

Andrew
Re: Background build ... is in the foreground [message #662000 is a reply to message #661808] Mon, 28 March 2011 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Sackstein is currently offline David SacksteinFriend
Hi Andrew,

Is there somewhere I can read the plan for fixing this?
Is there anyway I can influence the prioritization.

Wouldnt you agree that a single tasked application for building C++ projects is unusable?

Thanks

David
Re: Background build ... is in the foreground [message #662023 is a reply to message #662000] Mon, 28 March 2011 22:38 Go to previous message
Andrew Gvozdev is currently offline Andrew GvozdevFriend
It's just that it is not easy to do but the work is being done gradually. You can take a look at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=311205 and all the subtasks. To express that this is important you can vote on the task and provide your perspective in comments.

Andrew
Previous Topic:MAKEFILE VARIABLE that includes all files with extension .s, .c, .h
Next Topic:Setting up OpenCL with Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:11:10 GMT 2024