Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Remote Repository Downloads on Port 8080 Regardless of Config
Remote Repository Downloads on Port 8080 Regardless of Config [message #661491] Thu, 24 March 2011 22:29 Go to next message
Aaron  is currently offline Aaron Friend
I am running a Virgo hosted repository and it is listening on port 8080, the Virgo default configuration. I'm using a firewall on that server to redirect port 80 traffic to port 8080; Port 8080 traffic is generally disabled on our network, so this allows other Virgo instances on the network to have remote repositories connecting on port 80 to my hosted repository server.

Here is an example org.eclipse.virgo.repository.properties config file of a Virgo instance pointed at the remote repository:
ext.type=external
ext.searchPattern=repository/ext/{artifact}

usr.type=watched
usr.watchDirectory=repository/usr

iris-test.type=remote
iris-test.uri=http://stormlog.wrh.noaa.gov:80/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository/iris-test
iris-test.indexRefreshInterval=30

chain=ext,usr,iris-test

Note that it is using port 80 (I have also omitted the port specification as well assuming it would default to port 80).

When a Virgo instance out on the network polls the remote repository every 30 seconds, the polling happens over port 80 and seems to work as expected.

When a Virgo instance actually attempts to download artifacts from the remote repository, it does that over port 8080 despite my port 80 configuration. This causes the artifact download to fail because 8080 traffic is not allowed on my network.

I have verified this behavior using tpcdump.

Maybe a bug? Port 8080 hard coded somewhere in Virgo?

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: Remote Repository Downloads on Port 8080 Regardless of Config [message #661607 is a reply to message #661491] Fri, 25 March 2011 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron  is currently offline Aaron Friend
I think I now have an idea what is happening here.

Virgo uses the URL in org.eclipse.virgo.repository.properties to poll the remote repository for index changes.
http://stormlog.wrh.noaa.gov:80/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository/iris-test

When it comes time to actually download artifacts, Virgo uses the artifact URIs in the remote repository index to download the artifacts. These URIs are written into the index by the Virgo server hosting the remote repository. In my case, that server is listening on port 8080 and has no idea it's being forwarded traffic from port 80... The artifact URIs it writes into its index say port 8080.
<artifact uri="http://204.238.123.89:8080/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository/iris-test/bundle/com.springsource...">
</artifact>

So, I'm not sure there is currently a way around this issue. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

A nice enhancement would be to have a way to configure a port number override, either on the client side or server side. Does that seem worthwhile?

Thanks,
Aaron

[Updated on: Fri, 25 March 2011 14:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Remote Repository Downloads on Port 8080 Regardless of Config [message #661678 is a reply to message #661607] Sat, 26 March 2011 03:02 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Hi Aaron

That seems like a reasonable requirement, so please file an enhancement bug.

Regards,
Glyn
Previous Topic:Virgo and org.eclipse.ui
Next Topic:how to partition system to build bundle?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:38:34 GMT 2024