Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » osgi.locking problem under Helios 3.6
osgi.locking problem under Helios 3.6 [message #661442] Thu, 24 March 2011 16:54 Go to next message
Laura  is currently offline Laura Friend
I've been using the Ganymede 3.4 release with no problems on openSuSE 11.3 Linux. Eclipse was installed in /usr/share/eclipse.

I've now updated to the latest stable Helios version by deleting the old installation directory and installing Eclipse in a new directory at the same location.

When logged in as root, the command
/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse
runs with no problems

With my normal login the same command gives me the splash screen then an error dialog saying: 'Locking is not possible in the directory "/usr/share/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi". A common reason is that the file system or Runtime Environment does not support file locking for that location. Please choose a different location, or disable file locking passing "-Dosgi.locking=none" as a VM argument.
/usr/share/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/.manager/. fileTableLock (Permission denied)'

So I tried disabling the file locking as suggested with the command
/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse -vmargs -Dosgi.locking=none

This gives me a simlar but slightly different error message: 'Locking is not possible in the directory "/usr/share/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi". A common reason is that the file system or Runtime Environment does not support file locking for that location. Please choose a different location, or disable file locking passing "-Dosgi.locking=none" as a VM argument.
Permission denied'

I've now tried to specify -Dosgi.locking=none directly in eclipse.ini and I've also specified a specific VM as suggested by the "Linux + Eclipse users, read this!" thread but the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Re: osgi.locking problem under Helios 3.6 [message #661552 is a reply to message #661442] Fri, 25 March 2011 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laura  is currently offline Laura Friend
Ok, I've found what was wrong. This may be of some use to other Linux users...

The hint came from the multi-user install section of the documentation. The important thing is that the configuration subdirectory of the installation should not be writeable by ordinary users. Somehow while upgrading, the installation directory on my system became attached to the "users" group and some subdirectories, including configuration, were given group write permission. This meant that Eclipse tried to use the installation location to store configuration data for all users, rather than creating a separate configuration area under the home directory of each user.

The following commands
cd /usr/share
chown -R root:root eclipse
chmod -R g-w eclipse
restored the correct permissions to the installation directory, which forces Eclipse to create a local configuration area for each user the first time it is run. The local configuration area is writeable by the user so the file locking works.
Re: osgi.locking problem under Helios 3.6 [message #665454 is a reply to message #661442] Thu, 14 April 2011 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Take a look at this posting. It may solve your issue:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21455334

icon12.gif  Re: osgi.locking problem under Helios 3.6 [message #1014593 is a reply to message #661442] Tue, 26 February 2013 05:46 Go to previous message
HANEUL IM is currently offline HANEUL IMFriend
maybe this gonna be working.

Edit /opt/eclipse/eclipse.ini, add or move the line:

-Dosgi.locking=none
at the end of the file, or at least after the argument -vmargs

Previous Topic:Icons related query
Next Topic:unable to install eclipse juno ee in ubuntu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:55:18 GMT 2024