Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Existing project with multiple git repos(Making egit aware of multiple repos in existing project)
Existing project with multiple git repos [message #660273] Thu, 17 March 2011 15:56 Go to next message
Armond Paiva is currently offline Armond PaivaFriend
Folks,

I have an existing eclipse project which contains multiple git repositories. The project was not created with any of the egit wizards and therefor has no "awareness" of the git repositories.

Is it possible to somehow 'enable' egit to begin managing these multiple repositories?

For clarification, here is a directory tree illustrating the scenario:

<project-root>
           .project
           DIR_A
                      .git/
                      <files-managed-by-git-repo-A>
           DIR_B
                      .git/
                      <files-managed-by-git-repo-B>

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2011 15:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Existing project with multiple git repos [message #662712 is a reply to message #660273] Thu, 31 March 2011 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
"Armond" <armondpaiva@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:iltaig$grl$1@news.eclipse.org...
> Folks,
>
> I have an existing eclipse project which contains multiple git
> repositories. The project was not created with any of the egit wizards
> and therefor has no "awareness" of the git repositories.
>
> Is it possible to somehow 'enable' egit to begin managing these multiple
> repositories?
>

No, currently egit works only for projects which are contained in a git
repository, not the other way round. This seems to be a quite special
feature. You may open a bug for that.
Re: Existing project with multiple git repos [message #675119 is a reply to message #662712] Mon, 30 May 2011 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Smirnov is currently offline Dmitry SmirnovFriend
>This seems to be a quite special feature

Well, nothing special: most of the projects I work with (QEMU, for example) does not have .project/.cproject under Git and I do not want to add it.
So, typically, I would prefer to create a project in workspace and add a folder that links to existing Git repo (whist lies out of workspace)

So, was this bug opened?
Re: Existing project with multiple git repos [message #675371 is a reply to message #675119] Tue, 31 May 2011 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Instead you may consider to create .project files under the repositories and ignore them in your private repository specifc ignore file .git/info/exclude. See [1] for details.

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitignore.html
Re: Existing project with multiple git repos [message #675390 is a reply to message #675371] Tue, 31 May 2011 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Smirnov is currently offline Dmitry SmirnovFriend
I do have two more cases when I use such approach
1. Checking/Testing different versions of Eclipse (typically C/C++ code). Most of the time I work with some release but sometimes I wish to check development version

2. Working with Android code. The whole Android tree. I would like to escape from creating a lot of Eclipse projects manually. Note that if I use the same tree for C/C++ and Java, I need 2 projects (Java and C++). Thougth I never tryed to "Convert to C++ project" - I had noticed that in CDT 8.0 (Eclipse 3.6) this item has additional clarification ("add C++ nature"). Perhaps this also work in CDT 7 (Eclipse 3.7)

Perhaps, this feature (multple git repos) is not possible due to Eclipse Team API limitations?

Dmitry
Re: Existing project with multiple git repos [message #988757 is a reply to message #675119] Sun, 02 December 2012 20:10 Go to previous message
Armond Paiva is currently offline Armond PaivaFriend
No, a bug was not opened for this. Thanks.
Previous Topic:Unable to use key file SSH
Next Topic:Problem connecting Mylyn remote repo with github issues repo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:20:14 GMT 2024