Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Split packages in single scope(Lack of support for split packages is blocking adoption of PAR / scoped plan)
Split packages in single scope [message #659817] Tue, 15 March 2011 17:24 Go to next message
nfowler is currently offline nfowlerFriend
I'm writing to follow up on the following bug. This bug concerns a restriction Virgo has when using scoped deployment units (either a PAR or a scoped plan): no package can be split across multiple bundles in the scope.

I am trying to deploy an existing web service in Virgo. I would like to do so using a scoped deployment unit, primarily so that we can benefit from Virgo's application level tracing. However, this bug/limitation is blocking me from doing so. My scenario seems fairly mainstream, so I would like to either learn of a viable workaround, or raise visibility of the issue.

Our service uses CXF distributed OSGi. I am not an expert on this technology, but I can see the following in the OSGi service registry:

1) Our service is registered and consumed by the cxf-dosgi-ri-dsw-cxf bundle.
2) cxf-dosgi-ri-dsw-cxf registers the org.osgi.service.remoteserviceadmin.RemoteServiceAdmin service, which is consumed by cxf-dosgi-ri-topology-manager.
3) cxf-dosgi-ri-topology-manager registers the org.osgi.service.remoteserviceadmin.EndpointListener service, which is consumed by cxf-dosgi-ri-discovery-local.

If our service is placed in a scope, this dependency chain necessitates that each of the above-referenced cxf-dosgi bundles also be in that scope. However, the package org.osgi.service.remoteserviceadmin is exported by both cxf-dosgi-ri-topology-manager and cxf-dosgi-ri-discovery-local, so the split package limitation makes it impossible for me to deploy our service in a scope.

Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal
Re: Split packages in single scope [message #659828 is a reply to message #659817] Tue, 15 March 2011 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Sklyut is currently offline Dmitry SklyutFriend
Hi Neal,

You really do not want to scope cxf artifacts as part of your par or scoped plan.

Just allow those "external" artifacts to be looked up in repositories (i.e. $VIRGO_HOME/repository/usr)

Just place artifacts that you produce in the scoped deployments.

Regards,
Dmitry
Re: Split packages in single scope [message #659939 is a reply to message #659828] Wed, 16 March 2011 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
I agree with Dmitry.

However, I suspect that if you put your application bundle(s) inside a scope to get application trace, then you'll need to make the relevant service "punch through" the scope so that it is visible to the cxf-dosgi-ri-dsw-cxf bundle.

For instructions on how to do this, search for org.eclipse.virgo.service.scope in the Virgo Programmer Guide.
Re: Split packages in single scope [message #660049 is a reply to message #659939] Wed, 16 March 2011 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nfowler is currently offline nfowlerFriend
Thanks, Glyn and Dmitry. The ability to use the org.eclipse.virgo.service.scope property is what I was missing - this solved my problem. I appreciate your help!
Re: Split packages in single scope [message #660050 is a reply to message #660049] Wed, 16 March 2011 17:08 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Excellent! Thanks for feeding back.
Previous Topic:Changes in stage directory, no change to application
Next Topic:HttpService workaround
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:04:36 GMT 2024