Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » [JET] Passing parameters from one method to another
[JET] Passing parameters from one method to another [message #659786] Tue, 15 March 2011 15:38 Go to next message
Leslie Aguilera is currently offline Leslie AguileraFriend
Hello everybody,

I want to know if there is a way for my jet template to pass the value of a variable before I execute my project. I'm creating a dynamical mysql database, and I have a main method that creates indexes for every table through a for loop.

<%for (Table table: db.getTables()) {%>
createTable(con,"<%=table.getName()%>","<%=getCreateTableCommand(db,table)%>");	

As you can see, this method calls another one:

public static void createTable (Connection con,  String tableName, String createTableStatement) throws SQLException {
		Statement st = null;
		st = con.createStatement();
		System.out.println(String.format("Creating table %s.",tableName));		
		try {
				st.executeUpdate(createTableStatement);
		} catch (SQLException e) {
			 if ( e.getErrorCode() == 1050) {
			   	System.out.println(String.format("\tTable %s already exists. Dropped.",tableName));			  	
			   	st.executeUpdate(String.format("DROP TABLE %s",tableName));
				System.out.println(String.format("\tCreating table %s.", tableName));
				st.executeUpdate("createTableStatement");
			}
			else {
			 		ServiceMessage.Exception.handle(e);
			 }
		}
		st.close();
	}

Here, I'm trying to execute the "Create Table" query beforehand and if this table exists, I delete it and create it again. But before dropping the table, I need to delete its constraints/foreign keys, and for that I need the table name so I can use a rutine under jsp tags that would construct me the sentences I need for. My *real* problem is, that I don't know how to send the table name from the first method to createTable method because those methods weren't written under jsp tags java since I'm going to use them after I translate my template, and even if createTable receives the String tableName (which contains the name of the table that I'm currently creating) I can't use it like this:

<% 	List <String> fk  = public List <String> getTablesWithFK (tableName); %>

Because when the template is translating, it doesn't recognize the variable.

Since I can't merge both methods in only one (that would simplify my existence, because I can directly use <%=table.getName()%> as parameter in getTableswithFK()), is there any way I can receive that value from one method to another?

Thanks in advance.
Re: [JET] Passing parameters from one method to another [message #659803 is a reply to message #659786] Tue, 15 March 2011 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Elder is currently offline Paul ElderFriend
Are you trying to execute the 'createTable' method during template execution? If so, try this:

<%for (Table table: db.getTables()) {
    createTable(con, table.getName(), getCreateTableCommand(db,table));	
} %>

Paul
Re: [JET] Passing parameters from one method to another [message #659822 is a reply to message #659803] Tue, 15 March 2011 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nou, that method is executed after the template is translated and generate a java class with the results of that template. Crying or Very Sad
Re: [JET] Passing parameters from one method to another [message #659836 is a reply to message #659822] Tue, 15 March 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Elder is currently offline Paul ElderFriend
So you want to generate some Java code, then compile and execute it, after it has been generated?

If so, why not create a simple Ant build that does that, and run it after the template has executed. (If needed, you could create a template the produces the Ant build.xml file, too).

Paul
Re: [JET] Passing parameters from one method to another [message #659839 is a reply to message #659836] Tue, 15 March 2011 18:39 Go to previous message
I'll try doing that. Thank you x)
Previous Topic:[Xpand]define of the return type
Next Topic:[JET] Weird behaviour with Jet Builder when it's translating the templates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:38:09 GMT 2024