Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often(Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often)
Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often [message #658412] Tue, 08 March 2011 12:41 Go to next message
Jasper Floor is currently offline Jasper FloorFriend
I recently update to Eclipse Helios 3.6.2. I always do a fresh download and make new workspaces JIC. From the start I noticed that very often I am waiting for Helios. If I expand a an item in my explrorer it can take minutes. Refresh the same. Build, deploy, updating search indeces.... I have installed jboss AS tools, Maven plugin and ANTLR ide, but the problems were there before any plugins were installed.

Strangely enough a colleague reports the opposite behavior. He had similar problems in 3.6.1 and say they are gone in 3.6.2. So I don't know if this is a general problem or a local one. I was wondering if there are people with similar problems.

I am running:

Eclipse 3.6.2.
Ubuntu 10.10
Java 1.6.0_24
Re: Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often [message #662226 is a reply to message #658412] Tue, 29 March 2011 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jennifer Mostert is currently offline Jennifer MostertFriend
I'm having the same issue.

I just upgraded to 3.6.2 (with CFEclipse, Aptana, Subversion, Android SDK plug-ins installed) and it is REALLY lagging. I'm just trying to upload one fairly small ColdFusion file (only 268 lines) and it keeps freezing on me. The time it takes to open a file, start typing, or expand my file list in Navigator is ridiculous.

I decided to update my software because I kept getting a socket error when FTPing, and now, I can hardly do anything without a delay or the whole program freezing. I'm on a good machine - 8GB RAM, 64-bit, Windows 7, Dual Core Intel 2.40Ghz...should be plenty to run this. Only other programs open are Outlook and Firefox.

If anyone has any idea how to speed this up, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jenny
Re: Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often [message #662607 is a reply to message #658412] Thu, 31 March 2011 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mikhail Kalkov is currently offline Mikhail KalkovFriend
Just a guess... Check that Eclipse is not trying to load anything from the net in the UI thread and waiting for the connection to time out or for the download to complete. I've seen this problem a couple times occurring after upgrades on machines behind firewalls, which resulted in ca. 45 second freezes. In my case the problem was fixed either by setting correct proxy or disabling the offending new plug-ins. You can use Wireshark or "sudo netstat --inet -anp | grep eclipse" for example.
Re: Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often [message #662675 is a reply to message #662607] Thu, 31 March 2011 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jennifer Mostert is currently offline Jennifer MostertFriend
Thanks, Mikhail.

Before reading your post, I turned off all of my plug-ins and Eclipse was back to normal on start-up and I had no hang-ups.

I just downloaded/installed Wireshark to see if I can tell which plug-in is causing the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know much about networking and I'm not sure how to read the capture. Any suggestions on making sense of it?
Re: Helios 3.6.2 is slow and hangs often [message #663244 is a reply to message #658412] Mon, 04 April 2011 12:51 Go to previous message
Mikhail Kalkov is currently offline Mikhail KalkovFriend
Well, there might be several manifestations of network problems, but most likely your computer is trying to establish a TCP connection to a remote server and does not get any answer. The TCP handshake looks like this:
- your computer sends a TCP_SYN packet
- server responds with TCP_SYN and TCP_ACK in one packet
- your computer sends TCP_ACK to acknowledge server's response

The aforementioned situation with your computer receiving no replies would look like a sequence of TCP_SYN packets sent to the same address with no reply back. So, look for such a pattern, and if you have trouble using wireshark just google for wireshark tutorial or something like this.

Alternatively, many windows firewalls (aka internet security suites) have built-in view of active connections, so you could have a look there as well.
Previous Topic:Get Reference of ToolItems from the Main ToolBar
Next Topic:Cannot move project to other location
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:28:13 GMT 2024