Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Foreign Key Constraint Issue Involving One-To-Many and Many-To-One Relationship in EcliplseLink2.1.(trouble with tutorial,eclipselink2.1.2,jpa2.0,mysql)
Foreign Key Constraint Issue Involving One-To-Many and Many-To-One Relationship in EcliplseLink2.1. [message #656552] Sat, 26 February 2011 17:47 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hi all,

I'm encountering a 1452 error on MySQL 5.5.9 while running some JPA tutorial code that I pulled off the EclipseLink website ( http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/EmployeeXML), and I'm hoping someone has some insight.

I'm using the latest stable build for EclipseLink as of today from the main website: eclipselink-jpa-modelgen_2.1.2.v20101206-r8635.jar and javax.persistence_2.0.1.v201006031150.jar.

When I populate the database via CreateDatabase.java, I get the following error:

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLIntegrityConstraintViol ationException: Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (jpatutorial.proj_emp, CONSTRAINT FK_PROJ_EMP_PROJ_ID FOREIGN KEY (PROJ_ID) REFERENCES PROJECT (PROJ_ID)) Error Code: 1452

The relevant models here are an Employee table and a Phone table. There is many-to-one relationship between Phones and Employees. Part of the orm.xml is below:

<entity class="model.PhoneNumber">
<table name="PHONE" />
<attributes>
<many-to-one name="owner">
<join-column name="EMP_PH_ID" />
</many-to-one>
</attributes>
</entity>

<entity class="model.Employee">
<!-- secondary-table name="SALARY" /-->
<attributes>
<id name="id">
<column name="EMP_ID" />
<generated-value />
</id>
<one-to-many name="phoneNumbers" mapped-by="owner">
<cascade>
<cascade-all />
</cascade>
<private-owned />
</one-to-many>
</attributes>
</entity>

The code successfully creates the tables, creates address records for the employees, creates all the employee records, but then fails on inserting a phone record even though it has a valid FK reference to a employee record. I simplified the code so that it executes, persists and commits everything up to the point of the failure, but whether I execute the insert through JPA or manually by running a SQL script, I end up with the same 1452 error.

Interestingly, I found that if I dropped all the related Employee entities, and recreate them off create table definitions reversed engineered by MySQL workbench, I am able to successfully insert records into all the tables through JPA and manually via scripts. So, this suggests Eclipselink is creating the tables in some way that is producing a problem, and MySQL Workbench isn't capturing these problematic definitions in the reverse engineering. At this point, I'm out of ideas.
Re: Foreign Key Constraint Issue Involving One-To-Many and Many-To-One Relationship in EcliplseLink2 [message #656787 is a reply to message #656552] Mon, 28 February 2011 15:30 Go to previous message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
This is a duplicate post of
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=65678 6&S=139916fb892c4b1a5bfb97aa7b0e7079#msg_656786
Previous Topic:Performance issues persisting large amounts of similar entities
Next Topic:CacheKey getMutex() is not thread-safe
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:51:25 GMT 2024