Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » UML2 and the OMG Model Interchange Working Group (MIWG)
UML2 and the OMG Model Interchange Working Group (MIWG) [message #655681] Tue, 22 February 2011 09:45 Go to next message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
I'm wondering if the development of UML2 and the MIWG activities in http://www.omgwiki.org/model-interchange/doku.php are somehow related.

My impression is that only commercial tools are participating in the MIWG, and UML2 is more or less represented by Ken Hussey from IBM via the IBM RSx tool. The rest of the UML2 world seems to pretty much ignore the MIWG. So, are any fixes for UML2 regarding interchangeability indirecly committed by IBM developers (or others I'm not aware of)?

On the other hand, it might be possible that UML2 considers itself as a de facto standard because of the amount of tools using it, so that the MIWG is considered as a competitor (from the closed-source side of the UML tools world).

Thanks for helping me to get a clearer picture about what's going on behind the scenes.
Re: UML2 and the OMG Model Interchange Working Group (MIWG) [message #655723 is a reply to message #655681] Tue, 22 February 2011 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
Model interchange is a reality since all Eclipse related tools are using EMF serialization to generate xmi.
What is important to know is to check if each diagram has its model or if the full project has a single model.

No real need for a work force group because the core is the same between all Eclipse tools. What is important is to look for which version of Eclipse and which EMF. All tools having the same Eclipse and EMF can exchange models.
Two gurus with the help of many others have created this marvelous technology. Ed Merks and Kenn Hussey who is real gentleman that I fully recommend.

I have written a small article on this subject which goal is more marketing oriented but this is my job Smile at: http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/ec lipseuml2008_dynamic_navigation.html

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2011 23:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: UML2 and the OMG Model Interchange Working Group (MIWG) [message #656254 is a reply to message #655681] Thu, 24 February 2011 18:13 Go to previous message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
Hi Vlad,

thanks for your reply, so you think there's no need to care about anything outside the eclipse UML2 world. Hm. And you reminded me of that other topic: model interchange vs. diagram interchange. I consider the latter far from being solved, but that's another topic.

I still would like to understand if there are any contributions to UML2 and EMF that are an outcome of MIWG results. Nobody here nor in their mailing list mention if changes are made to the tools because of interchange issues. (BTW, are there changelogs to UML2 in the web?)
Previous Topic:ddl generation
Next Topic:The ID of a UML element
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:59:41 GMT 2024