Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » How to host Eclipse help on a server
How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655256] Fri, 18 February 2011 19:46 Go to next message
Thomas Rathkamp is currently offline Thomas RathkampFriend
Hello. I am brand new to Eclipse Help, and my goal is to use Eclipse Help as my output format. We are developing a web-based software package, for which there wil be HTML-based help. We use the XDocs CMS for Tech Writers to store our help content, and this CMS also outputs the required source files for output (plugin.xml. toc.xml, HTML files, etc..).

Where do I start with creating the system? Do I create my own plug-in? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655262 is a reply to message #655256] Fri, 18 February 2011 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jennifer Skiendzielewski is currently offline Jennifer SkiendzielewskiFriend
Wow. This is a very big question. Smile It's very close to how I use Eclipse Help though, so here are some places to start:

1. Download the Eclipse IDE and trim it down to just the help system. (There are instructions for this in the Eclipse documentation online).

2. You will need to create all of the required files (plugin.xml, helpdata.xml, maybe plugin_customizations.ini and fragment.xml), and modify some of the files that are in the Eclipse package (config.ini, bundles.info).
There's information about doing most of that here: http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/guide/ua.htm
(this is the section I found most useful, but it was still a bit opaque sometimes...) One extremely important point that it took days of trial and error to discover: Save all of the files you create as UTF-8. That little point might be obvious to a Java developer, but it escaped this writer for quite some time...

3. You'll probably want to run in Information Center mode, which seems to have the least documentation available-- but don't let that deter you! Most of the information carries over pretty well. We run that sort of implementation in several products, so I'll try to answer questions based on our experiences.

So I guess that's the place to start. Read that section of the help center and start experimenting. Post more questions as you come up with them.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655264 is a reply to message #655262] Fri, 18 February 2011 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Jennifer. Yes, it is a big question - thanks for your reply. I have already installed Eclipse SDK; that contains the IDE, correct?

What is meant by "trimming it down"? I will consult the documentation, thanks.

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655270 is a reply to message #655262] Fri, 18 February 2011 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi. When I start a project, what kind of project?
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655280 is a reply to message #655270] Fri, 18 February 2011 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas-

OK. Here are a couple of important answers:

1. When I say "trimming it down," Here's what I mean:
If the only part of the SDK that you want to use is the help system, you can delete the majority of the files in the SDK package, because you don't use them at all. I remember finding a topic online somewhere that explained how to carve the help system topics out of the SDK, but it involved setting up two project areas and a lot of manipulation inside eclipse.
I gave up on that method very quickly. Somewhere else I found a list of the files that you need for the help system, so I just went into the eclipse/plugins directory and deleted everything that wasn't on the list. It took a little work, but it was much easier. Apparently, I can't attach a screen capture here to show you the files I included... But I'll figure out a way to send it to you.

2. Based on #1 above, you shouldn't ever have to run the eclipse.exe and create a project at all. Smile

Let me figure out a good way to send you the list of files you need and I'll respond again.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655283 is a reply to message #655280] Fri, 18 February 2011 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a bunch Jennifer. There is a Developer I work with who, although never did Help, thought that maybe I wouldn;t have to create a project.

Why don't you send the screen shot to my email address:

thomas_rathkamp@yahoo.com

thank a ton

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655284 is a reply to message #655283] Fri, 18 February 2011 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops ..didn't like my whole address ...add @yahoo.com
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655286 is a reply to message #655280] Fri, 18 February 2011 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is it basically removing some files, and swapping my plugin.xml, etc with Eclsipe's?

By the way, I have a plugin.xml, toc.xml, and HTML files generated by my CMS ...
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655287 is a reply to message #655280] Fri, 18 February 2011 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. I guess I'll just type it all here. This is the base directory structure that I use for all of our products. We're still using version 3.5, so the version numbers will be different. Hopefully, these are all the files you need:

(Apparently I can't indent here either, so I'm going to use dashes to show sub-folders and folder content. Hope this isn't too difficult to read!)

end.bat
start.bat
/eclipse
--- /configuration
---------- config.ini
---------- /org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator
--------------- bundles.info
--- /plugins
---------- /org.apache.ant_1.7.1.v20090120-1145 (and all subdirectories)
---------- /org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.registry (and all subdirectories)
---------- /org.eclipse.equinox.launcher (and all subdirs)
---------- com.ibm.icu_4.0.1.v20090822.jar
---------- javax.servlet.jsp_2.0.0.v200806031607.jar
---------- javax.servlet_2.5.0.v200806031605.jar
---------- org.apache.commons.el_1.0.0.v200806031608.jar
---------- org.apache.commons.logging_1.0.4.v200904062259.jar
---------- org.apache.jasper_5.5.17.v200903231320.jar
---------- org.apache.lucene.analysis_1.9.1.v20080530-1600.jar
---------- org.apache.lucene_1.9.1.v20080530-1600.jar
---------- org.eclipse.ant.core_3.2.100.v20090817_r351.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.commands_3.5.0.I20090525-2000.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.contenttype_3.4.1.R35x_v20090826-0451.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.databinding.beans_1.2.0.I20090525-2000.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.databinding_1.2.0.M20090819-0800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.expressions_3.4.100.v20090429-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.4.100.v20090429-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth_3.2.100.v2009041 3.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility_3.2.0.v20090413.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.5.0.v20090525.jar
---------- org.eclipse.core.variables_3.2.200.v20090521.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.app_1.2.0.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.common_3.5.1.R35x_v20090807-1100.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.http.jetty_2.0.0.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry_1.0.200.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet_1.0.200.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.jsp.jasper.registry_1.0.100.v20090520-18 00.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.jsp.jasper_1.0.200.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.preferences_3.2.300.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.registry_3.4.100.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator_1.0.101.R35x_v2009080 7-1100.jar
---------- org.eclipse.help.appserver_3.1.400.v20090429_1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.help.base_3.4.0.v200909170800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.help.ui_3.4.1.v20090819_35x.jar
---------- org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.4.1.v20090819_35x.jar
---------- org.eclipse.help_3.4.1.v20090805_35x.jar
---------- org.eclipse.jface.databinding_1.3.1.M20090826-0800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.jface_3.5.1.M20090826-0800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.osgi.services_3.2.0.v20090520-1800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.1.R35x_v20090827.jar
---------- org.eclipse.rcp_3.5.0.v200909170800.jar
---------- org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86_3.5.1.v3555a.jar
---------- org.eclipse.swt_3.5.1.v3555a.jar
---------- org.eclipse.ui.forms_3.4.1.v20090714_35x.jar
---------- org.eclipse.ui.workbench_3.5.1.M20090826-0800a.jar
---------- org.eclipse.ui_3.5.1.M20090902-1000.jar
---------- org.eclipse.update.configurator_3.3.0.v20090312.jar
---------- org.mortbay.jetty.server_6.1.15.v200905151201.jar
---------- org.mortbay.jetty.util_6.1.15.v200905182336.jar
--- /readme
---------- readme_eclipse.html
--- /workspace
---------- /.metadata

Once you delete everything else, you're ready to start customizing files, adding plugins, and experimenting. Let me know if you want samples of files... I know this process can be very painful to work through on your own, trust me.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655296 is a reply to message #655287] Sat, 19 February 2011 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a million Jennifer. I will give this a shot.

A couple more questions: 1) Is this the folder structure and the all the files one needs? 2) How do you launch your Help file? You wrote in an ealier post that you never have to launch the Eclipse platform, correct? I am trying to get a feel for how this works that way.

thanks again

regards,

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655562 is a reply to message #655296] Mon, 21 February 2011 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas-
Once you have the file system set up that way, there are a few more files that you have to update and create. Here's my list, what the files do (as far as I can tell), and how to update them:

1. At the top of the directory structure, in the same directory as /eclipse: start.bat
-----This is a batch file that you can double click to start the eclipse help system (or that your developer can run when they start up their program, so the help starts at the same time). I usually copy this file and edit the copy. For me, the file includes one command that looks like this:

java -classpath eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.4.0.v200909170800.ja r org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -eclipsehome eclipse -plugincustomization plugins\com.infoprint.aiw.base\plugin_customization.ini -port 15888 -refresh -command start -noexec -consoleLog
pause

You might need to update the version number after help.base. The -eclipsehome value should be ok.
The -plugincustomization value should point to the plugincustomtization.ini file that you include in your plugin. (explained later)
The -port value should be the port that you want to run the help system on. By default it's 8888.
The rest of the values should be OK.

2. /eclipse/configuration/config.ini
This is one of the configuration files for the help framework.
Update or add this line:
eclipse.product=plugin_name.helpProduct
Replace plugin_name with the directory name of the plugin you're adding for your help (for example: com.company.product) and keep .helpProduct at the end.

3. /eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurato r/bundles.info
My best understanding is that this file tells eclipse the names of all of the plugins that it's supposed to recognize. I think that, when you run the help system inside the eclipse platform, the "provisioning" system builds this file, but I've never had time to figure out how to make that work automatically for me. So I just edit this file and add a line for my plugins. So add a line that looks like this at the bottom:

com.company.product,1.1,file:plugins/com.company.product,4,f alse

Again, replace both occurrences of "company.product" with the name of the directory that you put your plugin in. The "1.1" is the version number of your plugin. I have NO idea what the "4" and "false" are for, but they seem to work, so I just leave them.

4. /eclipse/plugins
Create a directory to hold your plugin. The directory name should follow the eclipse naming conventions. So it should start with com, then should have your company name, division (if you're a large company), product name, and maybe an identifier.
For example, I use: com.infoprint.aiw.base for my base product (that's com.company.productID.base) and com.infoprint.aiw.rpt for one of the optional features that we provide.

5. /eclipse/plugins/[your new directory:
This is where you'll put your HTML files, your plugin.xml, and your toc.xml. You'll also create the plugin_customization.ini here.

After you copy the plugin.xml here, open it up and look for the <plugin> tag. Here's mine:

<plugin id="com.infoprint.aiw.base" name="InfoPrint ProcessDirector Information Center"
provider-name="InfoPrint Solutions Company"
version="2.1">

The value for "version" must match the version number that you put in the bundles.info file.
Next, look for an <extension> tag like this:

<extension id="helpProduct" point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.products">
<product name="InfoPrint ProcessDirector" application="" />
</extension>

The value of "name=" is what shows up in the title bar of the browser when you start the help system (with "Help - " in front of it), so you can put whatever you want here).

Save plugin.xml and close it. Remember, if you had to make changes to what came out of your CMS, you'll need to make them again...

Now, create a new text file called plugin_customization.ini and save it as UTF-8. There's a good amount of information in the online information that I sent to you about the different options you can include here. I find it a little difficult to decode sometimes, but it's possible.

Here are the contents of one of my plugin_customization.ini files. You can copy it and change the values to match yours:

# plugin_customization.ini
# sets default values for plug-in-specific preferences
# keys are qualified by plug-in id
# e.g., org.eclipse.ui/RECENT_FILES=10
# java.io.Properties file (ISO 8859-1 with "\" escapes)
# "%key" are externalized strings defined in plugin_customization.properties
# This file does not need to be translated.
# org.eclipse.ui/defaultPerspectiveId=org.eclipse.ui.resourceP erspective
org.eclipse.help.base/banner=/com.infoprint.aiw.base/banner. htm
org.eclipse.help.base/banner_height=30
org.eclipse.help.base/windowTitlePrefix=true
org.eclipse.help.base/linksView=false
org.eclipse.help.base/help_home=/com.infoprint.aiw.base/aiw0 000.html
org.eclipse.help/HELP_DATA=helpdata.xml
org.eclipse.help.base/locales=en de es fr it ja ko pt_BR ru zh zh_TW

org.eclipse.help.base/banner-- This is the html file that you want to use for the banner in the top frame of the help system. I just wrote a simple HTML page myself, with a background color and an image for our product name. So you can create a similar thing and put the file in your plugin directory. Then change this path to point to your file in your plugin directory. Interestingly, this path only needs to start with your plugin name-- it doesn't need to include any path information above that.

org.eclipse.help.base/banner_height-- the height of your banner, in pixels, I think. We wanted ours to be pretty narrow.

org.eclipse.help.base/windowTitlePrefix=true
Set this to True to make your product name show up in the title line of the browser.

org.eclipse.help.base/help_home
This is the path to the "title page" of your help system-- the page that you want to display when a user first opens the help. Again, this path only needs information starting with the directory name for your plugin, nothing above that.

org.eclipse.help/HELP_DATA
This is only useful if you have more than one toc.xml file. For example, my help system has a master ditamap that the plugin.xml comes from, then it has 8 ditamaps that generate the sections of my help (Overview, Configuring, Troubleshooting, Reference, etc). Each section displays as a separate "book" in the TOC panel.
I use this file to set the order that the books in the TOC panel display in. If you only have one toc.xml, you can remove this line.

org.eclipse.help.base/locales
Identifies the languages that my product is translated into and that I have help translations for. If you're going to have translations, we can get those set up once your eclipse help is up and running in one language. Just let me know-- that's a whole other set of instructions!

I think that's all you need for now... When you have all of those files in place and edited, go up to your start.bat file and double click it. Then, open your browser to this, inserting the port number that you chose in the start.bat file in place of [port_number]:

http://localhost:[portnumber]/help/index.jsp

You should see a frameset with your banner, your TOC, and the file you specified for the help home page. Smile If you don't... well, that's where they debugging comes in.

To do any debugging, you'll have to stop the help system with the end.bat script. It doesn't need to be edited, just double click.

One last thing for now-- If you make any changes, go into /eclipse/configuration and delete EVERYTHING except config.ini and org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info. That forces the help system to update its configuration.

Whew. That's a lot of stuff, but hopefully, it'll get you going pretty quickly. Let me know if you get stuck.

Good luck!
Jennifer
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655579 is a reply to message #655562] Mon, 21 February 2011 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jennifer. Thank you SO much for this information. SO much ...

So to review, I do NOT have to create a plug-in project in Eclipse, correct? I just wanna confirm that - I know it is an option.

I was looking again at the different help modes.
I will point out that our Help will need to be accessed from the Help menu in our product. Does that change any of this? Is that where the Workbench mode comes into play?

I will let you know if I have any more questions. You've been a life saver.

regards,

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655591 is a reply to message #655579] Mon, 21 February 2011 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again Thomas-

You are correct-- you do NOT have to create a plugin project in eclipse. You just have to create a directory in /eclipse/plugins and copy the output of your CMS into it.

As for help modes... Here is my understanding (with a liberal amount of opinion included):

1) Workbench mode
Used when your product can essentially be incorporated into the Eclipse workbench as a plugin-- meaning that users open the eclipse development environment and import your product into it. In that case, your product's help plugin gets added to the eclipse workbench's help system.

My guess is that this is not what you want, though it's the mode that has the most documentation and the most functionality.

2) Standalone help mode
Used when your product is a standalone product that's installed on individual user systems (like MS Word or Adobe Acrobat). The help system starts up when the product starts up and shuts down when the product is closed, and it too runs on the user's system. Only one person accesses the help system, and it's only available from inside the product.

In this case, when you launch the help, it launches in a browser window, but it doesn't have a menu bar or any button bars at the top. It's just a title bar and the help system frames.

This might be the model you're looking for.

3) InfoCenter mode
Used in a couple of different situations:

A) When you only want to provide an online documentation library, without a product being involved at all. We do this on our corporate Web site, because it seemed to be a good way to provide our most up-to-date user documentation to our customers.

B) When your product is server-based, so it's installed in a central location and users access it from different places. In this case, you want to install the help on that centralized server with the product and let all of the users access it from there.

3B is how my product works. Our product is server-based and has a Web UI as the front end. The Web UI has a Help link that opens another window/tab to display the help. I believe the Help link is generated dynamically, so it uses the same hostname/IP address that our product UI uses (not localhost).

The command that starts our product starts the help system too, so the help system is running whenever the product is active. Users can bookmark the help system in their browsers and open it whenever they want-- they don't have to have the product UI/web page open. The help is displayed in a full browser, with all of the bars at the top, so it looks like any other web page.

This might also be the option you're looking for.

The command in start.bat changes whether you want to use option 2 or option 3. The one I gave you is for option 3. If you want to use option 2, you change this:

org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter

to this:

org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help

As for accessing the help from the help menu... I'm pretty sure you can access either 2 or 3 from the help menu. Your developers just need to know where to find the help and create the link between the menu and the help system correctly. Smile

Good luck again... and I'm glad this information is useful to someone! It was hard-won.

Have a good afternoon!
Jennifer
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655593 is a reply to message #655591] Mon, 21 February 2011 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again.

At least for the first release of our product, we might have two versions, one that installs on the customers' system and one that is server-based, in the cloud, or whereever.

In either case, the Online Help will sit on OUR servers.

It definately looks like the Infocenter mode is the one for me. I will carve out some time to get this set up and test it out.

Thank you once again.

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655594 is a reply to message #655593] Mon, 21 February 2011 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot to point out that our Help will not just open a full browser, so the window size, etc..will have to be customized. Our product will sit on a Microsoft CRM platform, and we are trying to get our Help to look a bit like CRM's help. My boss has assured me that that is NOT an absolute requirement.

One of the goals here is for my dept (TW) to be more efficient. The easier it is to single source (from our CMS, which produces Elcipse-friendly output), the better.

regards,

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655599 is a reply to message #655594] Mon, 21 February 2011 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again. where do I get the "end.bat" and "start.bat" files? Do those sit in a JAR file someplace?

thanks

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655605 is a reply to message #655599] Mon, 21 February 2011 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm.. Now that I think about it, I might've just created those myself. Or copied them from someone here. Or something like that.

Essentially, they're just the command line that you'd issue to start the help system. I think I might've pieced it together from this topic:

http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_setup_infocenter.htm

I already copied the contents of start.bat in a previous response, so here's what I have in end.bat:

java -classpath eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.4.0.v200909170800.ja r org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -eclipsehome eclipse -command shutdownpause

Oddly enough, even though this refers to org.eclipse.standalone.Help, it shuts down the InfoCenter version just fine. Go figure.

Jennifer
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655606 is a reply to message #655605] Mon, 21 February 2011 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotcha, thanks Jennifer.

I am working from home, with no printer. Tomorrow, I will print all these messages and look at them together (yes, I am old school -- still print stuff Wink

thanks again

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655615 is a reply to message #655605] Mon, 21 February 2011 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jennifer. Don't think I asked this, but my content files just go into the base folder of my project folder, where the plugin.xml file is, correct?
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655618 is a reply to message #655615] Tue, 22 February 2011 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, your content files go into the same directory as the plugin.xml and the toc.xml. (At least that's how I do it and I know it works that way...)

You're almost there!
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655775 is a reply to message #655618] Tue, 22 February 2011 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Jennifer.

I have all the required files/folders copied, except one. Where do I find the ,metadata file?

thanks

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655789 is a reply to message #655618] Tue, 22 February 2011 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi ..question on Step 2, editing the config.ini ....

Is this the full path of the location of my plug.xml, with periods separating the folder levels?

thanks
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655798 is a reply to message #655789] Tue, 22 February 2011 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again-

1. .metadata is just an empty directory. The help system might even create it when it starts up, because it stores stuff in there. So you don't have to create anything for it.

2. In config.ini, the value for:
eclipse.product=

is NOT the full path to your plugin.xml. It's the id of your plugin taken from the <plugin> tag in the plugin.xml file, with .helpProduct appended to it.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655808 is a reply to message #655798] Tue, 22 February 2011 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotcha ....Right now, my plugin.xml contain the following:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<plugin name='Eclipse content aggregated by a map' id='SymphonyHTMLHelp.xml' version='1.0' provider-name='XDocs22'>
<extension point='org.eclipse.help.toc'>
<toc file='SymphonyHTMLHelp.xml' primary='true'/>
</extension>
<extension point='org.eclipse.help.index'>
<index file='index.xml'/>
</extension>
/plugin>

The extraneous stuff is generated by XDocs. But the ID is there, so my entry in config.ini would be:

eclipse.product=SymphonyHTMLHelp.xml.helpProduct

Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655809 is a reply to message #655808] Tue, 22 February 2011 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw, the .XML is there simply because XDocs created the ID from the map file, which obviously is an XML file. I would think that an extra dot in there would confuse Eclipse, wouldn't it?
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655821 is a reply to message #655809] Tue, 22 February 2011 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, based on your plugin.xml, it looks like that line in config,.ini should be:

eclipse.product=SymphonyHTMLHelp.xml.helpProduct

And then you'll need to add this set of lines to your plugin.xml:

<product name="Symphony" application="" />
</extension>

You can replace "Symphony" if the product name is something else.

And the "extra" dot in the ID doesn't confuse eclipse at all. Pretty much all of my product IDs have three dots in them (com.company.product.extension). The eclipse convention is actually to start your plugin ID with com.your_company_name., so the dots don't throw anything off at all.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655836 is a reply to message #655821] Tue, 22 February 2011 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Jennifer. My plugin.xml now looks like this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<plugin name='Eclipse content aggregated by a map' id='SymphonyHTMLHelp.xml' version='1.0' provider-name='XDocs22'>
<extension point='org.eclipse.help.toc'>
<toc file='SymphonyHTMLHelp.xml' primary='true'/>
</extension>
<extension point='org.eclipse.help.index'>
<index file='index.xml'/>
</extension>
<product name="WennSoft Evolution" application="" />
</extension>
</plugin>
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655843 is a reply to message #655836] Tue, 22 February 2011 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jennifer. I am working through this methodically. Couple of questions. This is my new folder under the plugins folder (your Step 5). Is this OK?

com.wennsoft.evolution.release1

Also, does "toc.xml" have to be named "toc.xml"?

Wink ...getting there .....thanks much
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655844 is a reply to message #655843] Tue, 22 February 2011 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops ..I may have answered by second question ..the toc is referenced in plugin.xml ..duh ..so mine is fine ...
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655853 is a reply to message #655843] Tue, 22 February 2011 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that directory name should be fine. But you're moving into slightly uncharted territory. I make the directory name match the id value in the <plugin> tag, just so there's less to remember. But I don't think there's any reason that they need to match, so that should be fine.

And you did answer your own second question!
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655854 is a reply to message #655844] Tue, 22 February 2011 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again (hope I am not being a nag Wink))

I've been reading the documentation from the link to sent me. Lots of good stuff. Do you find yourself customizing a lot besides the settings in the product_configuration.ini? I ask because I definately seeing us going down to the CSS level to change some things. Just curious.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655862 is a reply to message #655854] Tue, 22 February 2011 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We do have a customized .css file that we use, and we've experimented with changing it even more. (I had an intern who created what he called "the Death Star Help System" by making the background black and some of the text red, etc.) There's a chance that we'll be doing more of that in the near future, but for the most part, our customizations have mostly come from using the plugin_customization.ini file.
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655867 is a reply to message #655862] Tue, 22 February 2011 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotcha. we might have to do some CSS customizations, depending on whether the higher-ups want our help to look like Microsoft CRM's help; CRM is the platform our software sits on top of and integrates with.

Say, I have another favor to ask of you. When the time comes, can you review my setup? I have a DropBox account (it's east to set up - and free - if you don't have one) and I could post the files up there.

Thanks again for all your help,

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #655961 is a reply to message #655862] Wed, 23 February 2011 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotcha. we might have to do some CSS customizations, depending on whether the higher-ups want our help to look like Microsoft CRM's help; CRM is the platform our software sits on top of and integrates with.

Say, I have another favor to ask of you. When the time comes, can you review my setup? I have a DropBox account (it's east to set up - and free - if you don't have one) and I could post the files up there.

I ran the "start.bat" files and got a few errors. There's a chance I did something wrong, put a file in the wrong place, or something. If you could take a peek, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help,

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #656039 is a reply to message #655862] Wed, 23 February 2011 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jennifer. I think that I have gone as far as I can for now. I do have another question, and I am not sure if I asked this before, or considered it. When you create your own folder that contains your project/plug-in files, etc...is that totally separate and dis-connected from the Eclipse Platform folder? In other words, are you totally divorcing your's from the platform, cheery=picking the files you need? Or are you literally stripping down what is there?

The bell went off in my head when I re-read one of your earlier posts, when you mentioned "trimming" and "deleting what you don't need"

Sorry if I should know this already - it just dawned on me.

thanks much

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #656045 is a reply to message #655821] Wed, 23 February 2011 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the answer to my previous qustion is probably YES. I think I inadvertently made a totally separate folder, outside of the \eclipse folder ...The good thing is, I had copied the files/folders from the list you gave me; once I had them all, I just copied my \plugins folder over the top of the default \eclipse plug-in folder ...duh ....Am I on track here?

I still have to get the "start.bat" to work - I am getting some errors. A Developer here is going to try to help me through them later.

Thanks

Tom
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #656451 is a reply to message #656045] Fri, 25 February 2011 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tom-
Sorry, I got caught up in end-of-sprint activities for my product team and there was too much to do for a few days there.

I'd be happy to review your setup, I'll just have to figure out how to use Drop Box.

As for your question about the the eclipse platform folders... Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the Eclipse IDE & unzipped it.
2. Went into the package that I unzipped and deleted everything in the /plugins folder except the files that I listed for you.
Note: I think I forgot to say that I left all of files that were in the /eclipse folder (at the same level as the /configuration, /plugins, /readme, and /workspace directories) in place.
3. Edited all the files that I told you about.
4. Added my directory under /plugins.

But reading what you said, I think you're on track-- as long as your cut & paste of the default /plugins folder actually deleted the .jar files that you don't need.

I'm pretty booked today and Monday, but I'll try to help with your debugging as I'm able!
Re: How to host Eclipse help on a server [message #656481 is a reply to message #656451] Fri, 25 February 2011 20:31 Go to previous message
Hi Jennifer. No problem. Actually, I won't need to have you look at my files. It's all working now. I am now flirting with some customizations.

Thanks again for all your help. I think I finally understand this stuff, at least enough to get a help system up and running.

Have a great weekend

Regards,

Tom
Previous Topic:AbstractPropertySection and wrapping
Next Topic:Suppressing Contents topics for main books
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:05:38 GMT 2024