Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Confused about Team Share with no former git repo
Confused about Team Share with no former git repo [message #655072] Fri, 18 February 2011 09:12 Go to next message
Kay Huber is currently offline Kay HuberFriend
I'm experimenting a bit with egit and started trying some stuff according to http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide (excellent guide!).

Now I'm a bit puzzeled about the very basic "Create Repository" example (http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Create_Repository)

Creating HelloWorld project: Ok, Team/Share -> Git: so far so good. Since I have no former project shared with git - I'm suggested to "Create a repository" - where the default is my project path + "\.git".

Example:
Workspace: C:\dev\code\workspace_36\git_tests
Project: C:\dev\code\workspace_36\git_tests\HelloWorld (that's where it ends up by default)
Git Repo created: C:\dev\code\workspace_36\git_tests\HelloWorld\.git

At first sight, that's still ok. But once I'm adding a second project "HelloWorld2", I can't actually add it to the same repo, instead, I'm creating a second one within HelloWorld2 project. In the end I'll have a local git repo for each project I create.

Is that the intent / best practice?
How would I have to do it, if I want to start creating projects but share them in one local .git repo? Can I still have that repo in the workspace?

That would be something like:

Project A: C:\dev\code\workspace_36\git_tests\gitroot\HelloWorld
Project B: C:\dev\code\workspace_36\git_tests\gitroot\HelloWorld2
Git Repo created: C:\dev\code\workspace_36\git_tests\gitroot\.git

If this is the preferred approach, adding it to the guide would be very helpful!

Thanks for any comments.
Regards
Kay
Re: Confused about Team Share with no former git repo [message #655111 is a reply to message #655072] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Read http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Creating_a_Git_Repos itory_for_multiple_Projects
Re: Confused about Team Share with no former git repo [message #655115 is a reply to message #655111] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kay Huber is currently offline Kay HuberFriend
Thanks a lot - must have missed that.

I'm still wondering though, whether it is a good idea at all to create a local git repository as described in the basic guide. Haven't seen many IT developments yet with only one project to be shared Wink

If I'm starting as described in the basic guide, I'll have to change quite some things once I create the second project...

Regards
Kay
Re: Confused about Team Share with no former git repo [message #656130 is a reply to message #655115] Thu, 24 February 2011 10:10 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
If you have an idea how to improve that, please file a bug describing this idea Smile
Previous Topic:Howto commit the deletion of a project
Next Topic:Setup with multiple repositories
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:09:24 GMT 2024